Information Grab Bag
SLAC 22 Dec 1993
Here's a random selection of information various folks at SLAC have
found interesting. Links may migrate from this page to others as
more appropriate locations are found, the links become obsolete, or
they are superceded by more interesting ones.
- A composite image from satellite photos of our home.
For more pictures, see the
- WWW electronic exposition, including the
Honolulu Community College
- Campus-wide, hypermedia information service.
- Daily press releases from NASA. See also the NASA Ames FTP
- NSF Activities
- Documents from the NSF's Science and Technology Information
System (STIS). Includes submission information for proposals.
- Contour and road map of the Superconducting Super Collider and its surroundings.
- US documents
- Documents on which the United States is based, e.g., the Constitution.
- Weather Maps
- Satellite photos, frontal maps...etc.
- Webster's Dictionary
- Including phonetic match, stem, and thesaurus.
Libraries and Museums
Here's online access to a few interesting libraries and museums:
- The Bodleian Library's Gopher.
- LC MARVEL
- The Library of Congress's Machine-Assisted Realization of the
Virtual Electronic Library (MARVEL).
- Smithsonian Pictures,
from air and space through zoology.
Some vendors are providing information resources to the worldnet,
- DEC Information Server
- WWW server with extensive DEC information, newsgroups and mailing
lists, archives and public domain software, and access to Alpha AXP demo
- IBM Kiosk for Education
- Gopher developed at the University of Washington with IBM
information, application software, and a bulletin board for educators.
Follow-on to ISAAC.
- O'Reilly & Associates
- Including a
with product and general UNIX information, along with
See also the
Global Network Navigator
(GNN), an information center with several electronic publications and a user's forum.
Terms and Conditions of Use
require subscription to GNN, a heretofore uncustomary restriction to
information access on the
- PTR Prentice Hall
- Gopher server for PTR Prentice Hall's Online Catalogs, containing
information about the publisher's Networking and Communications and
Object-Oriented titles, with more UNIX topics in the works.
Order forms and participating bookstores are also included.
- Sun Server
Sun Microsystems' and the University of North Carolina
(UNC)'s Gopher. Includes access to the
on computing usage and futures associated with Sunergy Satellite
Broadcasts and Newsletters.
See also other material from the UNC
multimedia information service
Internet Service Mediator.
This page was originally inspired by ones written by Tony Johnson and
Bebo White. Links from them still find their way into this page, as
do links from Les Cottrell, Greg Mushial, Pat Clancey,
and Dr. Chaos, among others.