Computing Futures at SLAC
SLAC 18 Sep 1994
Following are documents on computing "futures" related to SLAC.
The first section treats files at SLAC;
the second, pointers to other information at SLAC; and
the third, sources of useful information elsewhere.
As we move into the future, new files will appear here and old ones,
Files at SLAC
The name on the left is the file name at SLAC,
which is in the /usr/local/doc subdirectory indicated by the
section title, e.g., futures.
This page will change as we continue reorganizing
/usr/local/doc space. Some file names will change.
Work to flesh out the model of future computing at SLAC:
Final report of the VM Phase-Out Committee
identifying services that must be developed to replace essential
VM functionality (October, 1994).
Or view, e.g., on VM, the
- List of the computing futures committees at SLAC as of April, 1994,
with their members and charges. See also the
of their relationships.
- Viewgraphs from Les Cottrell's presentation to the Key Managers,
April 12, 1994, "SLAC Desktop User Workstations," including
a status report on the survey of users with character-mode terminals.
Reports from and presentations to
the SLAC Computer Advisory Committee (SCAC), also known as the
"Butler Committee" or the [SLAC] Visiting Computer Advisory Committee,
whose charge is to advise on SLAC's near and medium-term computing
- "Report of the SLAC Computer Advisory Committee" (December, 1993).
- "Plans for Running Down VM," Les Cottrell (October 11, 1993).
- "Minimum Support Levels for VMS," Charles Granieri (October, 1993).
- "SLAC Network Strategy," Les Cottrell (October 8, 1993).
- "Following Computer Trends," Les Cottrell (October, 1993).
- "Report of the SLAC Computer Advisory Committee" (August, 1993).
You may also find the following newsgroups with commentary on the
- "Stanford Linear Accelerator Center Site Longe-Range Plan:
Fiscal Years 1995 through 1999," Section 1 (February, 1993).
Contains information about last year's achievements as well as plans
for the future. Section 2 is only available in hardcopy. (Contact
- "Future Computing at SLAC," The Ad Hoc
Committee on Future Computing at SLAC (27 March 1992).
Other Information at SLAC
You may also find the following information on HEP computing
(To print a copy, get the
Press here to go to the SLAC Home Page.
Information Sources Elsewhere
Here're some other sources of useful information.
The name on the left is a name the information is known by.
- Initial documents on the US government's National Information
Infrastructure. See the
government's NII and
GopherSpaces for current activities.
- Gore-Billington Conference
- "Delivering Electronic Information in a Knowledge-Based Democracy"
at the Library of Congress, July 14, 1993.
- Home page of the National Coordination Office (NCO) for
High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC).
Includes the FY 1995 Blue Book on "... Technology for the National