Getting Started at SLAC
22 Dec 1995
Now You've Joined the SLAC Community...
Gathered here are some documents on diverse subjects to help you get started.
First off, if you're not familiar with using the World Wide Web (WWW) or its
implementation here, select this
SLAC Introduction to WWW
Then find out about the Lab by reading its
and take a physical
Here are some
On SLAC Research
- The BABAR Detector to study
CP-violating asymmetries in the decays of neutral B
- The SLD experiment in Z particle physics.
- The Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory (SSRL) where synchrotron
radiation is used to investigate objects of atomic and molecular size.
- The PEP-II Asymmetric B Factory to upgrade the current PEP collider for
- Theoretical Physics
- Current research interests of SLAC's theoretical physicists.
- Life at SLAC
- Handbook on operations and policies to help visiting researchers get
settled in quickly and safely.
On Information from SLAC (including SPIRES)
- Instructions for using the very popular
database of preprints and high-energy physics articles.
- Beam Line
- The online version of SLAC's quarterly periodical of particle physics.
On SLAC Computing and Communications
- SCSC Services
- Services of the SCS Computer Support Center (SCSC), including
setting up computing accounts and reporting problems.
- E-Mail Addresses
- "Understanding E-Mail Addresses" on de-mystifying this complex subject.
- Getting started with the Macintosh.
- Getting started with PCs.
- SLAC AFS Users' Guide"
on concepts, terms, and basic commands of the
Andrew File System (AFS).
- Computer Networking
- Introduction to SLAC's data networking services, monitoring, and problem
- SLAC Telephone Users' Guide on emergency communications, policies,
services, reporting problems, and equipment.
On SLAC Institutional Information
- Admin Handbook
- The SLAC Administrative Services Handbook
on administrative resources and services, including printable
versions of many of SLAC's forms.
- ES&H Manual
- The SLAC Environment, Safety, & Health Manual on
employee health and safety in the workplace.
- ES&H Training
- Collection of training catalogs, schedules, study guides, and other
- Library Guide
- "SLAC Library Guide" noting staff, collections, borrowing rules,
services, etc. See also
- The SLAC USENET newsgroup where some news of Lab-wide importance is announced.
On SLAC Divisions, Groups, & Programs
- Science Education
- Educational programs for various levels with associated materials.
- SLAC Summer Institute on Particle Physics, organized around a general
topic of particular interest that varies annually.
Local Area Resources
is a good place to start when you're new to the Peninsula.
To see information on physics, professional societies, federal organizations,
and other resources beyond SLAC, try looking at
Useful Information Elsewhere.
And, remember, to find out more about the World Wide Web (WWW) and its
organization here, take a look at the
SLAC Introduction to WWW.
Then follow its links to the SLAC Home Pages.
* Access to this link is restricted to SLAC users
Disclaimers, Copyright, and Other Fine Print