(from the SLAC Institutional Plan: BY1998-2002, January 1998)
The SLAC mission can be summarized as follows:
- Perform world-class research in high-energy physics and using
- Provide accelerators, detectors, instrumentation, and support for
national and international research programs in elementary particle
physics and allied fields that use synchrotron radiation.
- Advance the art of accelerators and related devices through the
development of more sources of high-energy particles and synchrotron
radiation, plus new techniques for their scientific utilization.
- Advance the critical technologies necessary to maintain leadership
and excellence in particle physics, accelerator physics, and
- Transfer practical knowledge and innovative technology to the
- Contribute to the education of the next generation of scientists
and engineers, and to the scientific awareness of the public.
- Achieve and maintain excellence in matters of environmental
concern and provide for the safety and health of its staff and the
Page owner: Henniss.