FarsNewsAgency - خبرگزاري فارس
Turkish / Persian / Arabic / English 11  Safar  1430 /  Friday 06 Feb 2009 / 18 Bahman 1387 a
Tehran - 04:24 / GMT - 00:54

Mainpage


All Stories

Politics
Economy
Social
World
Culture
Foreign Policy
Nuclear
Sports
Science
Art
Defence
Photo


Search

Contact us

About us


News number: 8711152027

19:54 | 2009-02-03

Politics

نسخه چاپي ارسال به دوستان

EC Secretary Urges Gov't to File Complaint against EU

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran should file a complaint with an international court against the EU's delisting of the terrorist Mojahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO) from its blacklist, Secretary of Iran's Expediency Council Mohsen Rezaei said on Tuesday.



Speaking to FNA here today, Rezaei blasted the Iranian foreign ministry's delayed reaction to the EU move, and lamented, "There have been very strong, credible and well-founded documents proving the terrorist nature of this grouplet and the (Iranian) Intelligence and Foreign Ministries were aware of that."

Rezaei reminded that since the EU began the delisting process of the MKO the issue went under long and hot debates at the block and that the Iranian government should have taken the opportunity to present its rationale for keeping the MKO in the EU's list of terrorist groups.

He further called on the government to adopt stronger measures against the move, saying, "Following the delisting of the Monafeqin (the Hypocrites, as MKO is referred to in Iran) from the EU's blacklist, the Iranian foreign ministry should now seriously pursue the case through a complaint against EU at an international court."

EU foreign ministers, meeting in Brussels on Jan 26, decided to drop MKO from the blacklist. The decision came as hundreds of Iranians demonstrated in front of the European embassies in Tehran to voice strong protest against the European Union's decision.

The anti-Iran terrorist group whose main stronghold is in Iraq, is blacklisted by much of the international community, including the United States.

The MKO is behind a slew of assassinations and bombings inside Iran, a number of EU parliamentarians said in a letter last year in which they slammed a British court decision to remove the MKO from the British terror list. The EU officials also added that the group has no public support within Iran because of their role in helping Saddam Hussein in the Iraqi imposed war on Iran (1980-1988).

The group started assassination of the citizens and officials after the revolution in a bid to take control of the newly established Islamic Republic. It killed several of Iran's new leaders in the early years after the revolution, including the then President, Mohammad Ali Rajayee, Prime Minister, Mohammad Javad Bahonar and the Judiciary Chief, Mohammad Hossein Beheshti who were killed in bomb attacks by MKO members in 1981.

The group fled to Iraq in 1986, where it was protected by Saddam Hussein and where it helped the Iraqi dictator suppress Shiite and Kurd uprisings in the country.

The terrorist group joined Saddam's army during the Iraqi imposed war on Iran (1980-1988) and helped Saddam and killed thousands of Iranian civilians and soldiers during the US-backed Iraqi imposed war on Iran.

Since the 2003 US invasion of Iraq, the group, which now adheres to a pro-free-market philosophy, has been strongly backed by neo-conservatives in the United States, who also argue for the MKO to be taken off the US terror list.

The MKO has been in Iraq's Diyala province since the 1980s.