FarsNewsAgency - خبرگزاري فارس
Turkish / Persian / Arabic / English 15  Rabi Al-Awwal  1430 /  Friday 13 Mar 2009 / 23 Esfand 1387 a
Tehran - 23:10 / GMT - 19:40

Mainpage


All Stories

Politics
Economy
Social
World
Culture
Foreign Policy
Nuclear
Sports
Science
Art
Defence
Photo


Search

Contact us

About us


News number: 8712210527

14:17 | 2009-03-11

Politics

Printable Version Send to a friend

Interpol: Israel War Crimes Case Pending

TEHRAN (FNA)- Interpol has confirmed that Iran has asked it for help in tracking down 25 senior Israeli officials involved in the recent war on Gaza.



Tehran Chief Prosecutor Saeed Mortazavi announced earlier that Iran had asked Interpol to issue international arrest warrants for 25 Israelis charged with committing war crimes during Tel Aviv's Operation Cast Lead in the Gaza Strip.

The International Criminal Police Organization (ICPO or Interpol) said in a statement on Tuesday that it "was reviewing the request to make sure it did not breach rules that prevent the body from making any intervention or activities of a political, military, religious or racial character."

In December, Tehran announced that it had set up a court to put the Israelis on trial for attacking Gaza and is seeking the arrest of over 100 individuals, press tv reported.

Interpol said Iran wanted to issue 25 so-called Red Notices for senior Israelis but did not provide any names.

Outgoing Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Defense Minister Ehud Barak, and Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni are reportedly on the list.

A Red Notice is not an international arrest warrant but a request to national police forces to identify or locate suspects with a view to arrest and extradition.

The legal move was made in response to the three-week Israeli onslaught on the densely populated coastal strip that left nearly 1,350 Gazans dead.

Mortazavi expressed hope that the 187 member states of Interpol would take "effective measures" to mete out justice to the Israeli war criminals.