FarsNewsAgency - خبرگزاري فارس
Turkish / Persian / Arabic / English 23  Ramadan  1430 /  Sunday 13 Sep 2009 / 22 Shahrivar 1388 a
Tehran - 00:04 / GMT - 19:34

Mainpage


All Stories

Politics
Economy
Social
World
Culture
Foreign Policy
Nuclear
Sports
Science
Art
Defence
Photo


Search

Contact us

About us


News number: 8806060758

17:33 | 2009-08-28

Social

Printable Version Send to a friend

Iran officials Reject Damage to Achaemenid Mine

TEHRAN (FNA)- The cultural heritage officials of Iran's Fars Province rejected reports about the destruction of the Achaemenid Gondashlu stone mine.



Iran's CHN news agency had earlier reported that mining operations near Persepolis had ruined 70 percent of Gondashlu mine, located 60 kilometers southwest of the Achaemenid capital.

The Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts and Tourism office of Fars Province said in a statement that archeology experts have visited the site and have found no evidence of mining operations, press tv reported.

The statement also says that mining operations near Gondashlu were stopped six months ago after miners approached the historical site in search of better sources.

Experts believe Gondashlu was used by Achaemenids in building Persepolis due to its high quality stones.

The mine is considered a good source of information about Achaemenid mining techniques as well as a resource for Persepolis restoration project.

It was during the 1960s that American archeologist William M. Sumner of the University of Pennsylvania discovered the significance of Gondashlu stone mine for Achaemenids.