FarsNewsAgency - خبرگزاري فارس
Turkish / Persian / Arabic / English 25  Dhul Hijjah  1430 /  Sunday 13 Dec 2009 / 22 Azar 1388 a
Tehran - 22:34 / GMT - 19:04

Mainpage


All Stories

Politics
Economy
Social
World
Culture
Foreign Policy
Nuclear
Sports
Science
Art
Defence
Photo


Search

Contact us

About us


News number: 8809140359

14:16 | 2009-12-05

Nuclear

Printable Version Send to a friend

Salehi: Iran Needs 20 Uranium Enrichment Sites

TEHRAN (FNA)- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) announced that the country needs 20 enrichment sites to fulfill its total electricity demand.



"We are in need of 20 thousands megawatts that means 20 [times the amount the] Natanz [facility can produce]," Head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization Ali-Akbar Salehi said on Friday.

"Now the government has decided to have ten sites with the same size as Natanz; of course when I say with the same size as Natanz it is concerning the amount of fuel that is produced and it is about thirty tones per year. Every site will be producing thirty tones per year which is enough for one nuclear power plant," he told press tv.

Salehi added that Tehran will not pull out of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT). "I think the West is trying to force us out of the NPT because they have noticed that we are insistent about…heeding the NPT and this is not to the liking of the West," Iran's AEO chief said.

Salehi noted that Iran has neither introduced "any nuclear material" nor "any centrifuge equipment" to the Fordo enrichment plant, stressing that "It is only the basic infrastructure that has been constructed there."

Last Friday, the International Atomic Energy Agency passed a new resolution against Iran over the construction of its Fordo enrichment plant, located outside Tehran.

While the resolutions passed by the Board of Governors generally focus on technical issues - as opposed to political ones - and are usually either passed or rejected unanimously, the last week resolution failed to win the support of ten member states.

In the interview, the top nuclear official called into question the "logic" behind the resolution passed against Iran and maintained that further sanctions could not make the country bow to the Western demands.

"It (the move) will not really disturb us to the extent that they think would make us relent to their wishes," he said.

Salehi also advised the West against any confrontation with Iran, which he said could have "unknown consequences."

"I think it's about time to…get wise people around the table and try to find a way out that would save the faces of all who are involved in this fabricated Iranian nuclear crisis. I call it fabricated because it is really fabricated."

Iran has branded the resolution as a "politically-motivated" move aimed at piling up pressure on the country and warned that it could harm "the constructive atmosphere of cooperation."

Tehran has maintained that it will continue cooperation with the IAEA but has also warned that attempts aimed at denying Iran its nuclear rights could reduce the country's cooperation to "a legally mandated minimum," which means it would not venture beyond its legal obligations.