FarsNewsAgency - خبرگزاري فارس
Turkish / Persian / Arabic / English 1  Rabi Al-Awwal  1434 /  Sunday 13 Jan 2013 / 24 Dey 1391 a
Tehran - 05:46 / GMT - 02:16

Mainpage


All Stories

Politics
Economy
Social
World
Culture
Foreign Policy
Nuclear
Sports
Science
Art
Defence
Interview
Commentary
Photo


Search

Contact us

About us


News number: 9107135059

16:01 | 2013-01-12

Politics

Printable Version Send to a friend

Envoy Denies Claims about Iran's Complicity in Cyber Attack on US

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iran's Permanent Representative to the United Nations Mohammad Khazayee in a statement categorically denied Tehran's alleged complicity in cyber attacks on the US data and banking networks.



In a letter of response sent by the office of Iran's permanent Representative to the United Nations to the American news outlets of CNN TV and New York Times daily, Khazayee noted that such claims are baseless.

Condemning the use of cyber attacks against any country, the statement noted such media claims by the US propaganda machine are another part of an organized process to spread Iranophopbia in order to justify Washington's illegal actions against the Islamic Republic of Iran.

Last month, Iran announced that it has thwarted a second cyber attack on one of its Culture Ministry institutes.

The cyber attack, originated from the US city of Dallas via switches in Malaysia and Vietnam, had targeted the information center of the Culture Ministry's Headquarters for Supporting and Protecting Works of Art and Culture.

The attack was repelled by the headquarters' experts.

In the last few years, various Iranian industrial, nuclear and government bodies have recently come under growing cyber attacks, widely believed to be designed and staged by the US and Israel.

In April a similar attack was carried out against Iran's oil ministry. According to the oil ministry, the cyber attack was carried out through a virus penetration that damaged users' hard disks, but failed. Senior Iranian oil ministry officials later announced that their computer systems resumed normal operation.

A few days later hackers failed to penetrate into the Iranian Science Ministry's computer network.

"Despite the frequent efforts made by hackers, the cyber attack has failed to leave any impact on the data system," a statement released by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology said.

It further praised the proper measures and full preparedness of the relevant departments at the science ministry for repelling the attack.

Wide-scale cyber attacks on Iranian facilities started in 2010 after the US and Israel tried to disrupt the operation of Iran's nuclear facilities through a worm which later came to be known as Stuxnet.

US intelligence officials revealed in April that the Stuxnet malware was not only designed to disrupt Iran's nuclear program, but was part of a wider campaign directed from Israel that included the assassination of the country's nuclear scientists.

Stuxnet is the first discovered worm that spies on and reprograms industrial systems. It is specifically written to attack SCADA systems which are used to control and monitor industrial processes.

In September, the Islamic Republic said that the computer worm of Stuxnet infected 30,000 IP addresses in Iran, but it denied the reports that the cyber worm had damaged computer systems at the country's nuclear power plants.

Iranian top security officials have urged the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to detect the agents involved in Stuxnet computer worm attack on Iran.

In April Iran announced that it has discovered the Stars virus that is being used as a tool to commit espionage.

That was the second cyber attack waged by enemies of Iran to undermine the country's nuclear as well as economic and industrial activities.

Security software manufacturer Symantec says parts of the Duqu code base are nearly identical to the infamous Stuxnet worm, "but with a completely different purpose."

Iran announced in November, 2011 that it had developed a software program that can control the Duqu spyware.

After wide-scale cyber attacks on Iranian facilities, including its nuclear sites, last year, Iranian officials started planning a proper and well-concerted line of defense against virus attacks.

In March, the Islamic Republic of Iran announced plans to strengthen its cyber power by establishing a Supreme Council of Cyberspace to defend the country against cyber attacks.

Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei tasked Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad with the duty of establishing a Supreme Council of Cyberspace.