FarsNewsAgency - خبرگزاري فارس
Turkish / Persian / Arabic / English 1  Jumada Al-Awwal  1434 /  Wednesday 13 Mar 2013 / 23 Esfand 1391 a
Tehran - 05:45 / GMT - 02:15

Mainpage


All Stories

Politics
Economy
Social
World
Culture
Foreign Policy
Nuclear
Sports
Science
Art
Defence
Interview
Commentary
Photo


Search

Contact us

About us


News number: 9107152448

17:29 | 2013-03-12

World

Printable Version Send to a friend

Czech FM: EU Should Support Dialogue in Syria

TEHRAN (FNA)- Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic Karel Schwarzenberg said that there is a possibility to reach a political solution to the crisis in Syria, and called on the EU to back peaceful settlement of the crisis in the Muslim state.



In a statement on Monday following EU foreign ministers in Brussel, Schwarzenberg stressed that the European Union (EU) should support dialogue and provide all possible help, Syria Arab News Agency reported.

He reiterated his country's rejection of foreign military intervention in Syria as it would escalate violence and increase number of casualties.

Schwarzenberg also expressed rejection of lifting Syria's arms embargo, adding that leaving the struggle until the last moment would lead to more bloodshed.

Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011 with organized attacks by well-armed gangs against the Syrian police, border guards, statesmen, army and the civilians being reported across the country.

Thousands of people have been killed since terrorist and armed groups turned protest rallies into armed clashes.

The government blames outlaws, saboteurs, and armed terrorist groups for the deaths, stressing that the unrest is being orchestrated from abroad.

In October 2011, calm was almost restored in most parts of the Arab state after President Assad started a reform initiative in the country, but Israel, the US and its Arab allies brought the country into chaos through every possible means. Tel Aviv, Washington and some Arab capitals have been staging various plots in the hope of increasing unrests in Syria.

The US daily, Washington Post, reported in May, 2012 that the Syrian rebels and terrorist groups battling Assad's government have received significantly more and better weapons in recent weeks, a crime paid for by the Persian Gulf Arab states and coordinated by the United States.

The newspaper, quoting opposition activists and US and foreign officials, reported that Obama administration officials emphasized the administration has expanded contacts with opposition military forces to provide the Persian Gulf nations with assessments of rebel credibility and command-and-control infrastructure.

According to the report, material is being stockpiled in Damascus, in Idlib near the Turkish border and in Zabadani on the Lebanese border.

Opposition activists who several months ago said the rebels were running out of ammunition said in May that the flow of weapons - most bought on the black market in neighboring countries or from elements of the Syrian military in the past - has significantly increased after a decision by Saudi Arabia, Qatar and other Persian Gulf states to provide millions of dollars in funding each month.

Earlier this month, Syrian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Jihad al-Laham said President Bashar al-Assad's government is ready to start talks with opposition groups without any precondition.

"… God willing we will win through (maintaining) unity and integrity and we have no precondition for sitting at the negotiating table for talks," al-Laham told FNA in Damascus.

He noted that the Syrian people are relying on their national possibilities to get rid of the current crisis, and stressed, "The door of negotiation and dialogue is open to everyone, and everyone can sit at the negotiating table to first put an end to the Syrian citizens' pains and sufferings and then provide a safe exit from the crisis for the Syrian people."