GGJ is so excited to be a part of so many communities and we are eager to grow. We are actively looking for new ways to increase our outreach, grow participation, gather greater diversity and intensify research opportunities. We are pleased to announce GGJ speakers at several upcoming conferences, if you are near, please come hear more about the Global Game Jam and join our community.
- 14 May, 2013 Annakaisa Kultmia @ FlashGamm, Moscow, Russia
- 14-17 May, 2013 GGJ Workshop @ Foundations of Digital Games, Crete, Greece
- 17-19 June, 2013 Susan Gold @ Games for Change Festival, New York, NY USA
- 21-27 July, 2013 Foaad Khosmood @ SIGGRAPH, Anaheim, CA, USA
- 26-29 August, 2013 GGJ Workshop @ DiGRA, Atlanta, GA USA
The Global Game Jam aims to stimulate innovation, experimentation, collaboration and creativity. With our partnerships we look for initiatives that bring the values of GGJ to a broader audience and/or creates opportunities for particpants to connect with their games on a broader scale.
This year Global Game Jam had a partnership with Mozilla Game On, an initiative that challenges game developers to "re-imagine the web as a gaming platform and use the power of the browser to revolutionize the way we make and play games".
We had an amazing GGJ 2013! Bigger and better than our previous jams. We received a great reaction to our theme and diversifiers, to our keynote speakers Erin Robinson and Bret Victor, to Adam and Amanda's great "day after" teaser and the wonderful message from the great Sid Meier. All of this is thanks to the hundreds of volunteers from around the world.
The games are available to be downloaded, played and discussed. Here are some interesting numbers about GGJ 2013.
(GGJ Lagos 2013 jammers hard at work)
- 319 jam sites in 63 countries, 38 US States and 6 Canadian Provinces
- Number of countries hosting for the first time: 12 (Bolivia, Chile, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, India, Latvia, Macedonia, Morocco, Nigeria, Serbia and Tunisia)
- Total number registered: 16,705
- Total number credited in at least one project: 11,474
- Total projects registered: 3248
- Total projects associated with a jam site: 3128
- Team sizes
|Number of contributors||Number of games|
|2 or more||2,394|
|4 or more||1,543|
|6 or more||588|
|8 or more||167|
|10 or more||43|
All of us at GGJ want to thank everyone who participated and helped in our 2013 event. Despite a few tech hurdles, we really feel GGJ was a very successful experience for all. We have grown tremendously and we are so happy that everyone had fun. This week we are going to put together an official count and great stories we have heard from around the world to share with you.
If you have any questions about uploads, ftp issues, or anything related to games on our site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
At the time of writing the timezones that started first have already finished the 5th anniversary edition of the Global Game Jam and uploaded the games. Hawaii is the last to finish and will do so around 14 hours from now.
The Game Jam is the perfect opportunity to record a video greeting for next year. Everyone are super hyped and gathered together.