The US and a number of its allies started their so-called International Minesweeping Exercise 2013 in the Persian Gulf on Monday. The maneuvers known by the acronym INCMEX-2013 are being directed by the Pentagon.
"The US has staged the military show to revive its leadership in the region," member of the parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Ahmad Bakhshayesh said on Friday.
Earlier this week, Iranian Army Commander Major General Ataollah Salehi said that the US officials intend to repeat their navy drills in the Persian Gulf, while the country's recent exercises in the same waters were a failure.
The military exercises are the second of their kind in less than a year, with the United States and its allies performing INCMEX-2012 last September.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a minesweeping operation staged by the Iranian Army's naval force in Iran's Southern waters, Salehi described the move as "a failure".
"Americans have staged the exercises using all their possibilities, claiming that 30 other states have joined them, but these exercises were not successful and the said countries did not take part in the drills as we observed," Salehi said.
"Therefore, they (Americans) are after repeating the exercises," he added.
Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast last week warned the US and its allies conducting joint exercises in the Persian Gulf against any provocative actions, saying, "Any move in the area will be monitored by Iran's defense forces."