Take Our Daughters To Work Day
This page tells you:
On Thursday, April 27 hundreds of thousands of girls around the world
will go to work instead of to school. "Take Our Daughters to Work Day"
is a special event in which participants go with their parents to work
instead of going to school for one day. The program was begun by the
Ms. Foundation, which reported over two million participants
world-wide last year. The SLAC event, sponsored by the
Women's Interchange at SLAC (WIS), is meant to introduce young women
to SLAC and to help them expand their career aspirations. It is
designed to encourage, inspire, and introduce adolescent girls to the
workplace. Take Our Daughters to Work Day will give them a chance to
experience various careers firsthand by accompanying their mom or dad
to his or her job.
Girls ages 9 through 15. Bring our daughters, granddaughters,
or nieces. Why girls? Research reveals that adolescent girls generally
have less exposure to and awareness of career options than adolescent
Visiting a parent's work place will increase a girl's awareness of
some of the options that will be open to her in the future. That
should help her to make informed career choices.Registration is
limited to 100 girls this year, so register early.
The day will be very busy.
A more detailed schedule can be viewed by clicking here.
- The girls will check in and receive their name tags by 8:30 AM.
- They will be taken to the auditorium by 8:30 AM, where Director Burt Richter will greet them and Professor Patricia Burchat will talk to them briefly about what happens at SLAC.
- The girls will be divided into two groups that will alternately participate in
hands-on workshops in the Training Center and take a tour of SLAC.
- From 11:30 to 12:30 a panel of women from diverse careers at SLAC will speak to the girls about their jobs and how they got where they are today.
- At 12:30 the girls will go outside to eat their lunches. Please have your daughter bring a sack lunch; only drinks and dessert will be provided.
- After lunch, from 1:00 to 1:15 PM parents will join the girls for a group photo.
- For the remainder of the afternoon parents will show their girls the parent's work area.
- There the girls will see the kind of work their parent does, and in many cases they will have an opportunity to work alongside their parent.
- From 2:00 to 3:00 PM several departments will hold Open House. Employees are encouraged (with their supervisor's permission) to visit these Open Houses with their daughters.
You must pre-register your daughter. This year enrollment is
limited to 100 girls. Please have your daughter select three (3)
hands-on workshpos she is interested in attending. A printable
registration form is available in either postscript or pdf
format. Fill the form out and send it to Janet Dixon, MS 97, by April
14. If you have any questions, call Evelyn Eldridge-Diaz, ext. 4128,
or e-mail email@example.com.
[Go Back to the Top]
Mon Apr 10 17:20:19 PDT 1995
by Evelyn Eldridge-Diaz