|POSITION:||Tech Desk Consultant|
|HOURS:||8- to 15-hour weekly schedule (flexible)|
|DURATION:||2014-2015 Academic Year to Full Year; Ongoing|
|PAY:||$13.25 an hour (starting rate).|
We are always in search of friendly and tech-savvy people to join the team at the best job on campus!
Consultants are responsible for providing friendly and knowledgeable desktop support from The Tech Desk for users of the Multimedia Studio and other Academic Computing Services spaces in Lathrop and Tresidder. They are quick learners who exhibit a great interest in helping people get their work done using our technology resources. Consultants are well-aware of the importance of excellent customer service and keeping up to date with the latest technologies and services that Lathrop has to offer.
- Be the most visible public face and representative of Academic Computing Services.
- Work minimum of 8 hours a week at The Tech Desk with a team of fellow Consultants.
- Provide excellent customer service and desktop support to Stanford students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Learn new computer and multimedia skills on the job and through training modules.
- Check out Macbooks, HD camcorders, external hard drives, and other equipment to users with valid SUID cards.
- Provide knowledgeable help with image, audio, and video editing questions in the Multimedia Studio.
- Process and print on-demand posters through our Epson Stylus 9690 wide-format printer.
- Attend regular staff meetings to discuss Desk issues and troubleshooting strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal English skills.
- Loves working with and helping people even if they are strangers.
- Enjoys troubleshooting computer problems.
- Extremely responsive to email and phone calls.
- A cell phone where you can be reached during work hours.
- Experienced in customer service (formal or informal); a mature and responsible attitude.
- Willingness to learn new things and to work on short-term projects as assigned.
- Able to commit to an 8-hour weekly work schedule.
- Can work at least 3+ quarters to build optimal proficiency (can exclude summer).
- Must complete Multimedia Services Qualification within first two weeks of employment. MMS-Q includes GarageBand, iMovie, Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro X.
- User-level familiarity with Mac OS X and Windows computers, OS navigation and file management.
- Ideal candidate has experience with:
- Stanford computer clusters (Lathrop, Tresidder, residential)
- Stanford printing systems: troubleshoot failed print jobs in clusters.
- Photoshop: scan documents and film, manipulate images, understand various file formats (PSD, JPG, GIF, PNG, PDF).
- iMovie/Final Cut Pro: shoot and edit video, understand various file formats and codecs (MOV, AVI, DV, MPG, H.264)
- iDVD/DVD Studio Pro
- CS2C credit is a huge plus.
Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
Requests for interviews not accompanied by both a completed Consultant Application and resumé or CV, will not be reviewed.
Note: Application materials are kept on file for 6 months only.