|POSITION:||Digital Language Lab Consultant|
|HOURS:||8- to 19-hour weekly schedule (flexible)|
|DURATION:||2014-2015 Academic Year to Full Year; Ongoing|
|PAY:||Consultants are paid $12.75 an hour (starting rate).|
We are always in search of friendly and tech-savvy people to join the team at the best job on campus!
Consultants are responsible for providing friendly and knowledgeable desktop support from the Digital Language Lab (DLL) for users of the DLL spaces and classrooms and other Academic Computing Services spaces in Lathrop. They are quick learners who exhibit a great interest in helping people get their work done using our technology resources. Consultants are well-aware of the importance of excellent customer service and keeping up to date with the latest technologies and services that Lathrop has to offer
- Be the most visible public face and representative of Academic Computing Services.
- Work minimum of 8 hours a week at Digital Language Lab with a team of fellow Consultants.
- Provide excellent customer service and desktop support to Stanford students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Learn new computer and troubleshooting skills on the job and through training modules.
- Effectively and efficiently communicate and coordinate with Tech Consultants at Tech Lounge at Lathrop to support the users of Lathrop 1st floor.
- Provide knowledgeable help, support, and guidance with the equipment and software in the DLL spaces and classrooms as well as other Academic Computing Services spaces in Lathrop
- Monitor and manage access to DLL spaces and classrooms
- Help instructors teaching in the DLL connect to projectors, operate TeamBoard touchscreens, iPad video capture systems, and other devices in classrooms and touchdown spaces.
- Solicit feedback and report any trouble, questions, suggestions, and comments to the DLL manager. Suggest and create documentation, signs, and manuals to help of the visitors to the DLL as well as effective training module for DLL Desk Consultants
- Attend regular staff meetings to discuss Desk issues and troubleshooting strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal English skills.
- Loves working with and helping people even if they are strangers.
- Enjoys troubleshooting computer problems.
- Extremely responsive to email and phone calls.
- A cell phone where you can be reached during work hours.
- Experienced in customer service (formal or informal); a mature and responsible attitude.
- Ability to work independently and reliably without direct supervision.
- Willingness to learn new things and to work on short-term projects as assigned.
- Able to commit to an 8-hour weekly work schedule.
- Can work at least 3+ quarters to build optimal proficiency (can exclude summer).
- User-level familiarity with Mac OS X and Windows computers, OS navigation and file management.
- Ideal candidate has experience with:
- Stanford computer clusters (Lathrop, Tresidder, residential), including typing in other languages
- Stanford printing systems: troubleshoot failed print jobs in clusters.
- CourseWork and the audio response applet
Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
Sherwin Smith, Consulting Services Manager
Lathrop Library, Room 136
Requests for interviews not accompanied by both a completed Consultant Application and resumé or CV, will not be reviewed.
Note: Application materials are kept on file for 6 months only.