- X Corrector
- See XCOR.
- X Recommendations
- The CCITT documents that describe data communication network
standards. Well-known ones include: X.25 Packet Switching
standard, X.400 Message Handling System, and X.500 Directory
- X Window System (TM)
- A popular window system developed by MIT and implemented on
a number of workstations.
- Two work stations used as a COW. One of the stations is used
for display only, the other for a cursor selectable menu (uses
- X-Ray Screen
- A profile monitor off the beam path where x-rays created by
a synchrotron radiation source hit some material to generate
secondary emission of visible light. The light itself is recorded
by a video camera and transmitted by cable to MCC. This type of
beam monitor is used extensively in storage rings where anything
placed in the beam path would kill the stored beam.
- A standard protocol for computer display windows and
graphics developed by MIT and available for most computers.
DECWINDOW is the version for VAXes and microvaxes, MACX is the
version for MACs.
- A group of computer manufacturers that promotes the
development of portable applications based on UNIX. They publish
a document called the X/Open Portability Guide.
- X-ray Absorption Fine Structure.
- X-ray Absorption Near Edge Structures.
- X-Ray Absorption Spectroscopy.
- X Length Bunch Monitor.
- X CORrector. A small dipole magnet acting in the horizontal
plane. Sometimes an XCOR is a trim winding on a larger bend
- X-ray Correlation Spectroscopy (LCLS).
- Xenon bubble chamber.
- A version of UNIX from Microsoft, now from SCO (Santa Cruz
- Experiment proposed in 2002 using the dual phase tipe
projection c hamber approach to detech WIMP dark matter directly.
- eXperimental End Stations. (LCLS)
- X-ray Experimental Systems. (LCLS)
- eXperimental Facilities Division (LCLS).
- eXperimental Facilities Division Safety Office (LCLS).
- X-ray Free Electron Laser.
- X-ray Facilities Operations. (SLAC)
- X-ray Improvement Project. (LCLS)
- XML Key Management System.
- X-ray Laboratory for Advanced Materials. Name changed to
SIMES in 2008.
- eXtremely Large Databases (workshop).
- Soft X-ray microscopy facility (ALS).
- Cold dark matter search usin liquid Xenon (Kamioko
- X-ray Monte Carlo.
- eXtensible Markup Language. A pared-down version of SGML,
designed especially for Web documents. It enables designers to
create their own customized tags to provide functionality not
available with HTML. For example, XML supports links that point
to multiple documents, as opposed to HTML links, which can
reference just one destination each.
- X-ray Multi-Mirror Mission - Newton. Launched by an Ariane
504 on December 10, 1999. (ESA)
- An X11/Motif WWW browser developed by National Center for
Supercomputing Applications (NCSA).
- X-ray Photon Correlation Spectroscopy
- X-ray Pump Probe (LCLS).
- X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy
- X-ray Phase Safety Checklist. (LCLS)
- Interchangeable Processing Units.
- X-Ray Background
- X-Ray Diffraction.
- X-Ray Diffraction and Flourescence facility. (SSRL)
- X-Ray Flouresence. Biological rapid scanning imaging
- A highly scalable architecture for data access.
- X-Ray Telescope.
- cross SuPpoRT.
- cross-Site Scripting. (Computing)
- X Toolkit Intrinsics. A C library to create and use
interface components called "widgets" to build GUIs. Pre-built
collections of widgets are available like the Motif widget set.
XT provides a higher level of screen and input manipulation than
the Xlib C library.
- eXtended Tag Container.
- X-band radio frequency deflector.
- X-ray Transport Hall. (LCLS)
- X-ray beam Transport, Optics and Diagnostics.
- One of the two local network servers to communicate between
the VAXes and the terminals. Xyplex is a brand name for this
Send corrections to email@example.com
or propose new terms for SLACspeak.