Skip to content Skip to navigation

Reporting Procedure

V. Reporting Procedure

Anyone who witnesses or views the evidence of an act of intolerance is encouraged to report the incident. A person need not be the direct target of an act of intolerance to report it.

Report an act of intolerance.

Step 1. Reporting to Police

A. Reporting during an ongoing incident

If there is an immediate threat to personal safety or property, or if someone has been physically injured, the target, witness, residential staff member, or third party should call the police immediately. Call 9-911 from a campus phone, or 911 from a cell phone or off-campus phone. Tell the dispatcher what is happening and remain on the line with the dispatcher.

B. Reporting after an incident has occurred

  • If there has been a hate crime committed (or reason to believe that one has been committed), the police should be called by the target, residential staff or third party.
  • If there is reason to believe that an act of intolerance has been committed but there is uncertainty about the nature of the act, the police may be contacted for consultation and to assess the situation.
  • On the University campus, if the act of intolerance involves property damage such as graffiti on a building, the Stanford Police should be notified and the police will preserve or document the evidence.

Step 2. Preservation of physical evidence

Before proceeding to Step 3, do not tamper with, touch, remove, or destroy physical evidence.

If the police have been called or if it is believed that a crime has been committed and the police will be called to conduct an investigation, the police will collect and process the evidence. After the police have documented the evidence, the police or one of the persons listed in Step 3 will notify University Facilities or the University Housing office to have the material removed.

If the police are not going to be called, the offending material should be removed or covered ONLY after consultation with one of the persons listed in Step 3.

Step 3. Reporting to University Personnel

Depending on where the act of intolerance occurs, it should be reported to the appropriate staff person as follows:

  • In an Undergraduate Residence Hall with a Resident Fellow (RF) Report the incident to a staff person on the residential staff: RF, Resident Assistant (RA), or Residence Dean (RD).
  • In an Undergraduate Residence Hall without a Resident Fellow (RF) Report the incident to the Residence Dean.
  • In a Graduate Residence Report the incident to the Associate Dean of Graduate Life.
  • At an Overseas Campus, Stanford In Washington or the Hopkins Marine Station Report the incident to the Residence Dean, house staff, or the program director responsible for that site. E. In any setting other than those listed above Report the incident to the Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs.