The following is a repost from the Parking and Transportation Services, October 2013 eUpdate. Of special note: one of our very own library staff members was awarded one of the top prizes in the 2013 Spring Promotion prize drawings. To see who the lucky winner was, see item number 5 below.
1. Participate in the 2013 Fall Promotion to enter drawings for a vacation getaway and more
Commute Club members are automatically entered; join now or pledge part-time to be rewarded
Is it time for a better commute? Choose a sustainable commute or avoid peak-commute times for rewards in our 2013 Fall Promotion.
- Join the Commute Club or remain enrolled. You could win a $3,500 vacation getaway, $1,000 spa or golf retreat, $500 holiday shopping spree, iPhone 5S, iPads, and more! Commute Club members are automatically entered into these prize drawings. New members returning a long-term “A” or “C” permit could receive up to a $100 permit-return bonus.
- Not sure if you’re a member? Visit My Commute Club to check on your enrollment status. If you are a Commute Club member, you are automatically entered into the 2013 Fall Promotion.
- Can’t commit full-time? If you make a part-time pledge by Oct. 25, you could win a $1,500 grand prize, an iPad mini, and gift cards.
We would be glad to help you explore your alternative commute options. Request a free transit and/or bicycle commute plan with our do-it-yourself or custom commute planning service. You also could find a Stanford affiliate with whom to carpool or vanpool through our free ridematching services.
Plan ahead to carpool, telecommute, commute off peak, or explore other options
Following a work stoppage in early July, BART continued operations under a temporary extension of union contracts after the state mandated a 60-day cooling-off period. If contract agreements are not reached by Oct. 10, a second strike could halt BART service beginning Friday, Oct. 11.
For the latest updates and information, please use these resources:
- 511.org’s strike information and 511 on Twitter
- BART: Web and Twitter
- AC Transit: Find Your AC Transit Options if BART Strikes and Twitter
- Caltrain: Web and Twitter
Given the impact to commute traffic if there is a BART strike, P&TS encourages all commuters to plan ahead for transportation options and alternatives. With your supervisor’s approval in advance, consider telecommuting or commuting during off-peak times and also consider carpooling if a strike occurs. Refer to alert.511.org for details about expanded carpool lane hours and access.
Visit the P&TS website for more information about transportation options and resources.
For assistance, please contact email@example.com or 650.723.9362, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (except university holidays).
3. Bike Safety Night Light and Helmet Stations provide resources to campus cyclists
Stop by for discounted helmets and lights and free bike safety information
Stanford bicyclists are invited to stop by the Bike Safety Night Light and Helmet Station to purchase bike helmets and bike lights at a 20 percent to 50 percent discount and receive free bike safety resources and information.
- Who: Stanford bicyclists
- What: Discounted bike helmets, bike lights, and free bike safety information
- Helmets, $20 (50 percent discount off a $40 helmet)
- Bike Lights, $14.99 and $19.99 (20 percent off retail cost)
- Free helmet fitting and bike light installation on site
- When: Thursday, Oct. 10 and Thursday, Oct. 17
5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Serra Grove (intersection of Serra Mall and Lomita Mall)
Thanks to Stanford Public Safety and the Campus Bike Shop for partnering with Parking & Transportation Services in sponsoring this event.
Remember to follow all the rules of the road when riding your bike.
4. Commuters and residents have many resources to get around and off campus
Consider Stanford’s free and discounted transportation programs and services
It’s never been easier to get around and off campus without a personal vehicle, thanks to the many free and discounted transportation programs available to Stanford students, faculty, and staff. Here are just a few of the services available to you:
- Stanford’s Marguerite shuttle service is free and open to the public. Marguerite can take you around campus, to nearby transit hubs, and off campus for shopping, dining, and entertainment. Stanford also offers Charter Services for Stanford groups at below-market rates.
- Stanford is a platinum-level “Bicycle Friendly University.” Our bicycle program can provide you with the resources you need to ride your bike safely and confidently on and off campus.
- Traveling off campus? Request or offer a ride using Stanford’s Zimride network. This service can also be used to find carpool partners for your daily commute and coordinate airport shuttles during holidays.
- When you need a car, Zipcar at Stanford offers reduced rates and a discounted membership fee. Enter promotion code B2S2013, and Zipcar also will give you $45 in free driving*.
- Stanford affiliates also enjoy discounted rentals at Enterprise Rent-A-Car’s campus location. Campus residents receive $10 weeknight rentals through the Residents Rental Program.
Whenever possible, all Stanford affiliates are encouraged to avoid departing campus during the peak commute times, which include departures from campus between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. If you have questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Coupon expires Nov. 30, 2013. Credit will be issued in two installments ($35 + $10) upon membership approval.
5. P&TS announces winners in the 2013 Spring Promotion prize drawings
Participate today in the 2013 Fall Promotion for more chances to win
Stanford Commute Club is pleased to announce the winners in the 2013 Spring Promotion prize drawings, which included Commute Club members, those with commuter parking permits who pledged to use alternative transportation on a part-time basis, and resident students who pledged not to drive alone from campus during the afternoon peak commute. We also held an additional drawing for Commute Club members who participated in our “Tell-A-Friend” promotion.
Stanford Commute Club’s 2013 Fall Promotion currently offers more opportunities to win!
Commute Club top prize winners:
- $3,500 Grand Prize – Yong Huang, School of Medicine
- $1,000 “gift of your choice” – Laura Allen-Schroll, Stanford Hospital & Clinics
- iPad with Retina Display – Leon Iszik Clarke, Stanford University Libraries
- iPad with Retina Display – Alana Koehler, School of Medicine
- iPad mini – David Rosenthal, Graduate School of Business
Commute Club “Tell-A-Friend” Promotion prize winner:
- iPad mini – Debora Savoy, Residential & Dining Enterprises
Part-time Pledge top prize winners:
- $1,500 Grand Prize – Kabao Moua, Legal Services
- iPad mini – John Tanchuan, Stanford Hospital & Clinics
Student Resident Pledge top prize winner:
- iPad mini – Daniel Rogan, School of Medicine
Visit our website for the full list of winners and their prizes. Thanks to all who participated in the Commute Club 2013 Spring Promotion. For questions about the Commute Club or assistance in identifying your alternative commute options, contact us at email@example.com.