Prepaid cards for departments & groups
Stanford is implementing a new printing and copying payment system during Fall Qarter of 2015.
There is no charge for printing and copying during the transition to the new system. Procedures will be revised, and the page below will be updated, as that new system is implemented and rolled out.
Obtaining a Print and Copy Card
- Until August 17, 2015:
- Purchase a card at a card vending machine in the library with cash ($1 per card).
Add money to the card by journal transfer or by inserting money into the machine. Use your correct account information and Expenditure Type 54520 ("Photocopy excluding Stanford Publication Services") when requesting reimbursement from your petty cash custodian.
- Bring a memo to the Green Library Privileges Desk requesting a specific number of copy cards.
Indicate who will use the cards (state the department name) and have an authorized approver on the account sign the memo. The copy card(s) are issued over the counter. The copy card cannot be used until money is transferred to the card.
If you intend to charge photocopies to a sponsored project, please refer to section: "Guidelines for Charging Prepaid Photocopies to Sponsored Projects" below before providing an account number. This option is recommended when a copy card is used to charge copies to sponsored projects.
Beginning August 17, 2015, cash will no longer be accepted for printing and copying. This page will be updated with instructions on use of credit cards for copying at that time.
Transferring Money to the Card
Money may be transferred to one or more copy cards by preparing a web journal using the New Journal form ("Create New Inc./Exp. Journal") as follows:
- Charge (debit) the PFOO/PTAEO that will pay for the prepaid copies for the amount of money you wish to apply to the copy card. Use Expenditure Type 54520.
- Credit PFOO 1056643-1-EAFKG-21660 for the same amount of money you wish to apply to the copy card.
- Enter the copy card number in the description field of the journal. The number can be found at the bottom right of the card below the bar code.
- Please identify a departmental contact (name/extension/e-mail address) in the journal description.
- Route the journal to Kelly Takahashi in Student Financial Services as an approver and Maria Elena Levita as an FYI in addition to any required departmental approvers.
- As soon as the web journal is completely approved, SUL will add money to the copy card.
- Incomplete information will delay the web journal. The departments are responsible for providing an appropriate account that may accept photocopy charges. Again, if you intend to charge photocopies to a sponsored project, please refer to: Guidelines for charging prepaid photocopies to sponsored projects before providing an account number.
Departments should use prudent judgment in determining how much money should be transferred to a copy card. The amount should correspond to the anticipated use of the card within a reasonable period of time.
Continuing Use of the Copy Card
Each copy card may be used indefinitely by adding more money by repeating the journal transfer process.
Refunds of Remaining Balances on Copy Cards
Refunds for unused balances may be requested from the Student Financial Services Office.