Welcome to Stanford!
On behalf of Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), we are committed to providing you an exceptional housing and dining experience. We provide a comprehensive array of services to students, faculty, staff, and the University community in close partnership on common initiatives with the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs (VPSA), the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE), the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education (VPGE), Residential Education and Graduate Life Office in VPSA, the Office of the Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (VPTL) and the Department of Athletics, Physical Education & Recreation (DAPER).
Students are never an interruption in our day; you are the reason we are here.
The R&DE vision is to be the best in the business by Creating a Culture of Excellence. Throughout R&DE, we support respectful, open communications and we encourage leadership development and staff recognition in a responsible manner that supports the academic mission of the University.
We offer you:
- Exceptional service that is student-focused.
- A diversity of dining and housing options across campus to meet equally diverse needs and preferences.
- Constant innovation in pursuit of better ways to increase your comfort, wellness and safety, and enhance your Stanford experience.
- A commitment to sustainability. From the sourcing of our food that is local, organic, humane, fair trade, family-owned and/or from sustainable farms and; fisheries; to energy-efficient residences and dining locations; to our zero waste commitment, we’re reducing our impact on the earth and our stewardship of precious resources. Our efforts to mitigate excessive water use during the ongoing drought in California have resulted in a savings of 33M gallons of water per year across the 57 acres of R&DE stewarded landscape.
- Opportunities for collaboration, including the Dining Ambassadors program, sustainability internships, student gardens, the Teaching Kitchen@ Stanford and more.
We are committed to continually improving the service and resources we provide on behalf of the entire University community. In just the last year alone, we have:
- Completed the new 125 undergraduate bed expansion in Manzanita Park to open the Humanities Theme Residence in the Fall of 2015; launched the construction of two new wings at Lagunita Court to bring online 216 new undergraduate beds in Fall 0f 2016; fully renovated four houses of the Row for infrastructure, fire-safety, kitchen and bathrooms, and furnishing and finishes.
- Forged a collaborative partnerships with the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation and opened the Teaching Kitchen @Stanford to encourage students to learn the fundamentals and build confidence to cook delicious meals and eat healthier.
- Established with the Culinary Institute of America, the Menus of Change University Research Collaborative dedicated to advancing the production, procurement, menu design and service of plant-based proteins in our dining/café outlets and across the country; we opened the Forbes Family Café serving a flexitarian menu to great acclaim in the heart of the Engineering Quad.
… to name just a few of the many other initiatives large and small.
Revenue from R&DE cafés and enterprises goes directly to offset some of the cost of student room and board. We encourage everyone – students, faculty and staff – to take advantage of the offerings from these cafés operated by R&DE. Our wide variety of on-campus restaurants, catering service, guest house, executive services, conferences and meeting services are designed to meet the needs and exceed the expectations of the Stanford community. From the Farm. For the Farm. R&DE.
I invite you all to explore what R&DE has to offer. If you see me on campus, please do come up and introduce yourself. I would love to hear how R&DE can further enhance your Stanford experience.
Shirley J. Everett