- (650) 723-5100
G. Salim's role in the library
I am the librarian for Digital and Rare Maps. I will be curating the David Rumsey Map Collection when it arrives at Stanford in 2016; I will also be heading the David Rumsey Map Center which is going to open in April 2016. The center will be the main point of service for viewing rare maps and interaction with their digital derivatives. In addition, I oversee/monitor the map content that goes to the Digital Library Systems and Services (DLSS) scanning laboratories.
Topic Guides by G. Salim
Course Guides by G. Salim
- Association of Research Libraries Career & Leadership Program (LCDP) Fellow, 2011-2012
- ALA Emerging Leader, sponsored by Maps and Geography Round Table, 2010-2011
- Minnesota Institute for Early Career Librarians, July 2010
- Institute for Enabling Geospatial Scholarship in the Humanities, University of Virginia Library, November 2010
- Cyberinfrastructure Summer Institute for Geoscientists, San Diego Super Computer Center, University of California, San Diego, August 2010
- Beta Phi Mu, International Library & Information Studies Honor Society, inducted May 2006.
- ALA Spectrum Scholar, 2005-06
Mohammed, G. Salim (Presentation) Map Digitization Workflows, North American Cartographic Information Society Meeting, Greenville, South Carolina, October 9, 2013.
Pearson, Matt., G. Salim Mohammed., Renzo Sanchez-Silva and Patricia Carbajales. Stanford University Libraries Study: Topographical Map Vectorization and the Impact of Bayer Moire Defect, Journal of Map and Geography Libraries, v.9, no.3, 2013.
Mohammed, G Salim (Poster Presentation) Scanning Maps: Quantifying Errors to Inform Future Image Capture Efforts, Association of Research Libraries LCDP Program, Anaheim, CA June 23, 2012.
Mohammed, G Salim (Presenter) Google Maps - GIS Calabash, 2009 Hawaii Congress of Planning Officials and Hawaii Geographic Information Coordinating Council Joint Conference, Honolulu, HI September 23-25, 2009.
More about G. Salim
Prior to coming to Stanford in June 2011, I worked at the University of Hawaii at Manoa as their first Maps and GIS librarian (2007-2011). My Masters in Geography focused on the social capital aspects of water distribution in slums of Bangalore, India; I have a particular interest in water conservation and the South Asian region.
Please refer to my linkedin profile for other details.