Table of Contents
Not sure where to start? Try one of these databases.
- Less is more! If you don't find enough results on cycling of nitrates, instead try nitrogen.
- Expand time or geography. If you don't find enough results on Post-Eocene San Joaquin-Tulare Basins, instead try (mesozioc or paleozoic or precambrain) AND San Joaquin.
- Limit with caution. Certain limiting features may limit your retrieval in ways you don't expect. Some recommended limits are: Source Type, Date, and Limiting to “Peer reviewed” (in Basic and Advanced Search).
- GeoRef search tip: The truncation symbol is an asterisk (*) and the wildcard is a questionmark (?). Using the * on a word will look for ALL possible variations for that word:
environment* will search for environment, environmental, environments …
[*3]magnet* will search for magnetic, demagnetization, geomagnetic, geomagnetism …
geolog* will search for geology, geologic, and geological
- Remember to use Boolean logic. Use the OR search connector to search for different phrasings. If you use AND and OR search commands in the same search, put parentheses around the OR terms: try (mesozioc or paleozoic or precambrain) AND San Joaquin.
To specify a location, consider your site at different scales. For information about Lake Tahoe, use terms like:
- Lake Tahoe
- Northern Sierra Nevada
- State names (California and Nevada); County names
Also add geologically-related terms:
- mines and mining
And consider both time periods and rock formations:
- Cambrian, Pleistocene, etc.
- Navajo Sandstone
Subject Searching: For a more directed search, do a subject search. In a subject search, you need to use official Library of Congress terminology. This type of language might not seem natural to you, but if you are not having any luck with keywords, it can be quite useful. For example, to find a guide for the Lake Tahoe region, you would type:
- Geology--Tahoe, Lake, Region (Calif. and Nev.)--Guidebooks
- Geology--Nevada--Reno Region--Guidebooks
Other "official" subject terms include:
- Geology, Structural
- Faults (Geology)
- Geology, Stratigraphic
- Geology, Stratigraphic--Pleistocene
- Plate tectonics
For the subject Geochemistry
search also under the broader term: Chemistry
search also under the broader term: Earth sciences
search also under the narrower term: Analytical geochemistry
search also under the narrower term: Biogeochemistry
More Subject Terms
Note that this is a sampling of items within SearchWorks and cannot be used as exhaustive list. This will help get you started.
- Intermediate volcanism associated with the McDermitt Volcanic Field
- Calderas and associate igneous rocks (title)
- Volcanic fields.
- Volcanic activity prediction > Yellowstone National Park.
- Kinetics and Stable Isotope Fractionation of Zinc Adsorbing onto Quartz
- Tomography, seismic data processing, processing code development
- Rock physics, chemical interactions of rocks and CO2 (including lab measurements)
- Submarine landslides, marine terrace sedimentology, slope stability and sea level rise
- InSAR data, water shortages, water pumping and subsidence, long-term deformation, resource management
- Geochemical conditions and source fluid composition of base metal sulfide mineralization in the Lón District, southeastern Iceland
- Applying Structure from Motion (SfM) Techniques to Map Ground Temperatures and Hydrothermal Radiant Heat Fluxes on Local Scales.
- Structure from motion.
- Mammoth Mountain. (Keyword search)
- Mammoth Lakes (Calif.)
- Sierra Nevada (Calif. and Nev.)
- Proposal for “The Creation, Reliability, and Usefulness of Earthquake Catalogs”
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks
Major Reference Works and Encyclopedias
Oxford Reference Online brings together language and subject reference works from one of the world's biggest and most trusted reference publishers into a single cross-searchable resource. The Premium Collection offers a huge range of fully-indexed, extensively linked, up to date, and cross-searchable dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press.
Knovel provides access to over 2,000 leading reference works and databases from over 50 international publishers and professional societies through a single interface.
A list of resources to assist with writing and publishing in the sciences.
- Mission Statement
- The Architecture, Chemistry, and Evolution of Continental Magmatic Arcs
- From Geodetic Imaging of Seismic and Aseismic Fault Slip to Dynamic Modeling of the Seismic Cycle
- Atmospheric Dynamics of Hot Exoplanets
- Atmospheric Escape from Solar System Terrestrial Planets and Exoplanets
- Transient Creep and Strain Energy Dissipation: An Experimental Perspective
- Paleosols as Indicators of Paleoenvironment and Paleoclimate
- Conservation Paleobiology: Leveraging Knowledge of the Past to Inform Conservation and Restoration
- Continental Lower Crust
- Who Should Read This Journal?
- Designer Ecosystems: Incorporating Design Approaches into Applied Ecology
- Inclusive Wealth as a Metric of Sustainable Development
- Transforming Consumption: From Decoupling, to Behavior Change, to System Changes for Sustainable Consumption
- Environmental Movements in Advanced Industrial Democracies: Heterogeneity, Transformation, and Institutionalization
- Rewilding: Science, Practice, and Politics
- Regional Dynamical Downscaling and the CORDEX Initiative
- Opportunities for and Alternatives to Global Climate Regimes Post-Kyoto
- Integrating Global Climate Change Mitigation Goals with Other Sustainability Objectives: A Synthesis
- State of the World's Amphibians