Industrial Contracts Office
3000 El Camino Real

Building 5, Suite 300
Palo Alto, CA 94306


Stanford University has a long history of productive research relationships with companies of all sizes. The Industrial Contracts Office (ICO) negotiates a variety of research contracts with companies, ranging from the transfer of biological research materials to multi-million dollar research projects (SRAs) and industry affiliates programs.


Stanford and Industry video: Goals in Common


Which Office at Stanford Will I Work With?

Agreement Type Handled by the Following Stanford Office(s)
Confidentiality agreements (NDA/CDA). Generally, Stanford does not sign these agreements on behalf the university. Individual researchers may sign confidentiality agreements that are consistent with university policies. Industrial Contracts Office (ICO) advises on NDAs related to industry research.
Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) advises on NDAs related to federal and other non-industry projects.
Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) advises on NDAs related to licensing and Stanford technologies.
Consulting agreements by faculty. Faculty review and sign their own consulting agreements, which must be consistent with university policies.
Clinical trial agreements for drugs or devices. Clinical Trials Research Management Group (CT-RMG).
Equipment loan agreements for research purposes (Equipment Loan). Industrial Contracts Office (ICO).
Procurement Office.
Fellowship agreements for students, postdoctoral scholars and faculty. Research Management Group (RMG) handles fellowships for the School of Medicine.
Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) handles fellowships for all other schools.
Office of Development also handles many fellowships.
Gift letters or agreements. Office of Development.
Human tissue transfer agreements (HTA). Industrial Contracts Office (ICO).
Companies may support research through Industrial Affiliates programs (Industrial Affiliate). Industrial Contracts Office (ICO).
License and service agreements to the university. Procurement office.
License agreements from the university. Office of Technology Licensing (OTL).
Material Transfer Agreements (MTA). Industrial Contracts Office (ICO).
Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer Program (STTR) agreements. Office of Sponsored Research (OSR).
Software licenses for research purposes (Software). Industrial Contracts Office (ICO).
Sponsored research agreements, where an entity funds research projects in a university laboratory (SRA). Industrial Contracts Office (ICO) handles the agreement when the funder is a company.
Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) handles the agreement when the funder is the government or non-profit entity.
Research Managment Group (RMG) handles foundation grants for the School of Medicine.

Researcher’s Guide to Working with Industry PDF


Who Handles Research-Related Agreements at Stanford