University IT has completed the migration of more than 40,000 faculty, staff, and student email and calendar accounts to Office 365 in the cloud.
The new system takes advantage of cloud storage and scalability, and also incorporates robust security and Stanford's single sign-on system. University IT will continue to maintain an Exchange environment on campus on a for-fee basis for those interested in keeping their data on the premises.
A few project metrics that may be of interest:
- Approximately 39,000 email boxes migrated from Zimbra to Office 365 in 10 separate migrations over a two-and-a-half-month period
- Approximately 1,600 email boxes migrated from our on-premise Exchange environment to Office 365
- 32 training and demo sessions held over six weeks, approximately 1,000 attendees overall
- More than 20 staffed walk-up support areas across campus on the first and second mornings of each migration, staffed by CRC and local support
- More than 4,000 HelpSU tickets answered by central and distributed Service Desk staff and project team members
- We've just published a roadmap page; we'll continue to update it as planning continues for the next set of Office 365 functionality, which will likely include ProPlus, OneDrive, and Office Online. We also will begin regular training classes offered by the University IT Tech Training group in mid-September.
More information about Office 365 is available on the University IT website.