Gregory A. Loew

Deputy Director Emeritus

Gregory Loew

Gregory A. Loew, SLAC Deputy Director from 2001 to 2005, spent his entire career of 50 years at the laboratory, starting in 1958 when it was still called “Project M.” He received a Licence-ès-Sciences from the University of Paris followed by a master of science degree from the California Institute of Technology and a PhD from Stanford University, both in electrical engineering.

Loew developed the design of the accelerator structure and many other microwave systems for SLAC’s 2-mile-long linear accelerator. As head of the Accelerator Physics Department, he led the turn-on of the entire machine in 1966, was a co-editor of The Stanford Two-Mile Accelerator, and concerned himself with all subsequent linear accelerator upgrades.

During his tenure as deputy director of the Technical Division from 1982 to 2001, Loew participated in the development of the SLAC Linear Collider and PEP-II. For more than 20 years, he coordinated the procurement of SLAC’s electric power through a consortium with Lawrence Berkeley and Lawrence Livermore national laboratories and EXETER’s consultants.

Loew was actively involved in all of SLAC’s international programs and organized the visits of French President Pompidou and the Emperor of Japan to the laboratory. From 1994 to 2003, he chaired two successive International Linear Collider technical review committees and oversaw the publication of their reports.

Loew was named adjunct professor at SLAC in 1974 and professor in 1982. He became a fellow of the American Physical Society in 1993 and chaired its Committee on the International Freedom of Scientists in 1996.