If you’re excited about gaining hands-on work experience with Seed — either on campus or in a developing economy — you’ve come to the right place.
The following Stanford University students are eligible to apply:
- Degree-seeking, full-time graduate students
- Current undergraduate students
- Graduating Stanford senior students
Submitting an application does not guarantee selection. An internship committee will assess all completed applications based on the following selection criteria:
- Your record of academic and professional accomplishments
- Your demonstrated ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a cross-cultural context
- Your interest in gaining work experience in a developing economy
- Your skill set with regard to the needs of potential host companies in Africa
All finalists will be interviewed by Seed staff and Seed volunteers. If you are selected, Seed staff will meet with you to coordinate all logistical and programmatic details of your internship.
Most internships begin in late June/early July.
- Your contact information
- Summary of your international experience
- Answers to three essay questions (500 words or fewer per essay)
- Resume (upload as a PDF)
- Unofficial transcript (upload as a PDF)
- Two references
- What opportunities and challenges do you anticipate encountering while serving as an intern?
- How do you expect this internship to further your educational and professional goals?
- Describe the expertise that you can offer a company and that you would use in the Seed internship experience.
- Provide contact information for two individuals who will be able to speak about you with Seed staff (include their names, short descriptions of the context in which you know them, and their email addresses and phone numbers).
- One of your references must be from a Stanford faculty member or lecturer familiar with your academic work.
Applications for 2017 summer internships will open in Winter Quarter 2017.
When you are ready to apply, access the online application. You can download a printer-friendly version of the application for your reference, but you must fill out and submit the application online.
Interns receive a stipend, which covers airfare, required visas and select vaccinations, cost-of-living expenses, and accommodations.
Preparations for international internships are time-consuming. If you are selected, allow sufficient time to complete the following pre-departure requirements:
- Attend a mandatory international-preparation workshop.
- Complete pre-departure forms and obtain valid travel documents, such as a passport and visa.
- Obtain required immunizations and documentation thereof.
- Prepare a detailed project work plan in conjunction with your supervisor.