Leland Scholars Program
Table of Contents
Futurity: news from leading research universities
- New genome editing method avoids cellular ‘trash disposal’
- ‘Encyclopedia’ sheds light on how death boosts ecosystems
- Sugar pill just might control your chronic pain
- Why Americans are eating less meat
- Reducing oil ‘flaring’ could cut emissions in a big way
- Treadmill desks can hamstring your memory
- Waiting to have a baby can lead to having many at once
- Plan cuts mortality for people with HIV who inject drugs
- Future El Niño events could spark high wildfire risk
- Deep-sea mud outlines the Sonoran Desert’s monsoon history
SearchWorks / xSearch
- An extreme close-up with a beautiful furry moth
- The ‘me’ illusion: How your brain conjures up your sense of self
- ‘The pain was instant’: The devastating impact of vaginal mesh surgery
- Don’t miss: Apes get ideas, hole becomes art, games lose boundaries
- The inside story of the vaginal mesh scandal, from top removal surgeon
Is this a peer-reviewed source?
- Most journals published by professional societies are peer-reviewed. The Scholarly Societies Project lists profesional societies by subject.
- Use "Ulrich's Periodicals Directory" online. The black and white-striped referee's shirt icon represents peer-review.
- If available, limit a database search to peer-reviewed journals. All journals in the Web of Science Core Collection are peer-reviewed.
- Look on a journal's website (e.g., Masthead or About).
- Ask a librarian.
* Powering a ...
* Finite resources
Sustainable urban development : eBooks in the Stanford Libraries
Gardner, G.T., Prugh, T., Renner, M., & Mastny, L. (2016). State of the world: can a city be sustainable? Washington, DC : Island Press, 
Encyclopedias and major reference works
Consumption, Conservation, and Sustainability - Handbooks & Statistics
* Environmental issues
Whether you are interested in policy, mapping, or demographic data, the electronic resources listed below will give you a start. You can also check out Our World In Data, which also has nice visualizations.
Social Media and a Connected World
- Jones, Steve. 2003. Encyclopedia of new media: an essential reference to communication and technology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. (print only)
- Harvey, Kerric. 2014. Encyclopedia of social media and politics. Thousand Oaks, California : SAGE Publications, Inc.,  (print only)
- Hanson, Jarice. 2016. The social media revolution: an economic encyclopedia of friending, following, texting, and connecting. Santa Barbara, California : Greenwood, An Imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC,  (print only)
- Coyer, Kate, Tony Dowmunt, and Alan Fountain. 2007. The alternative media handbook. London: Routledge. (print only)
- Wilkins, Karin Gwinn, Thomas Tufte, and Rafael Obregon. 2014. The handbook of development communication and social change. Chichester, England : Wiley-Blackwell, 2014.
- Consalvo, Mia, and Charles Ess. 2011. The handbook of internet studies. Chichester, West Sussex, U.K.: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Blanchard, Emmanuel, and Daniele Allard. 2011. Handbook of research on culturally-aware information technology: perspectives and models. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference. (print only)
- Topor, Francis Sigmund. 2017. Handbook of research on individualism and identity in the globalized digital age. Hershey, Pennsylvania (701 E. Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA 17033, USA) : IGI Global, 
- Sundar, S. Shyam. 2015. The handbook of the psychology of communication technology. Chichester, West Sussex, UK ; Malden, MA : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2015.
- Mansell, Robin. 2007. The Oxford handbook of information and communication technologies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Joinson, Adam N. 2007. The Oxford handbook of Internet psychology. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (print only, in-library use only)
- Dutton, William H. 2013. The Oxford handbook of Internet studies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Delwiche, Aaron Alan, and Jennifer Jacobs Henderson. 2013. The participatory cultures handbook. New York: Routledge. (print only)
- Hjorth, Larissa, and Olivia Khoo. 2016. The Routledge handbook of new media in Asia. Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016. (print only)
- Fielding, Nigel, Raymond M. Lee, and Grant Blank. 2017. The SAGE handbook of online research methods. London : SAGE Publications Ltd, 
- Hunsinger, Jeremy, and Theresa M. Senft. 2014. The social media handbook. New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Flynn, Nancy. 2012. The Social Media Handbook: Rules, Policies, and Best Practices to Successfully Manage Your Organization's Social Media Presence, Posts, and Potential. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.
- Cheever, Nancy A., Larry D. Rosen, and L. Mark Carrier. 2015. The Wiley handbook of psychology, technology and society. Malden, MA : Wiley Blackwell, 2015.
- Kawasaki, Guy, and Peg Fitzpatrick. 2014. The art of social media: power tips for power users. [New York, New York] : Portfolio/Penguin, 2014.
- Korpijaakko, Maria Leena. 2015. Cracking Facebook: the importance of understanding technology-based communication. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Cover, Rob. 2016. Digital identities: creating and communicating the online self. Amsterdam ; Boston : Academic Press/Elsevier, 2016.
- Wamala-Larsson, Caroline, Christelle Scharff, and Johan Hellström. 2015. Mobile participation: access, interaction and practices. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Rainie, Harrison, and Barry Wellman. 2012. Networked: the new social operating system. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.
- Clark, Lynn Schofield. 2014. The Parent App: Understanding Families in the Digital Age. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Fuchs, Christian. 2017. Social media: a critical introduction. Los Angeles : Sage, 2017. (print only)
- Herring, Mark Y. 2015. Social media and the good life: do they connect? Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 2015.
- Graham, Mark, William H. Dutton, and Manuel Castells. 2014. Society and the internet: how networks of information and communication are changing our lives. Oxford ; New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2014
- Chun, Wendy Hui Kyong. 2016. Updating to remain the same: habitual new media. Cambridge, Massachusetts : The MIT Press, 
- Bainbridge, William Sims. 2016. Virtual sociocultural convergence. Switzerland : Springer, 2016.
Browse journals in BrowZine
Language and Identity and Communities
- The concise encyclopedia of communication. Edited by Wolfgang Donsbach. Malden, MA : Wiley Blackwell, 2015.
- The encyclopedia of applied linguistics. Edited by Carol Chapelle. Chichester, West Sussex, UK : Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
- Encyclopedia of language & linguistics. Edited by E. K. Brown and Anne Anderson. Boston: Elsevier, 2006.
- Language and communication: a cross-cultural encyclopedia. Michael Shaw Findlay. Santa Barbara, Calif: ABC-CLIO, 1998. (print only)
- Hickey, Raymond. 2017. The Cambridge handbook of areal linguistics. Cambridge, United Kingdom : Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Enfield, N. J., Paul Kockelman, and Jack Sidnell. 2014. The Cambridge handbook of linguistic anthropology. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Nakayama, Thomas K., and Rona Tamiko Halualani. 2010. The handbook of critical intercultural communication. Chichester, West Sussex, U.K.: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Fishman, Joshua A., and Ofelia García. 2010. Handbook of language & ethnic identity. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press. (print only)
- Sharifian, Farzad. 2015. The Routledge handbook of language and culture. London ; New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2015. (print only)
- Jackson, Jane. 2012. The Routledge handbook of language and intercultural communication. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. (print only, in-library use)
- Bonvillain, Nancy. 2016. The Routledge Handbook of Linguistic Anthropology. New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016.
Browse journals in BrowZine
npj Science of Learning is the first journal to bring together the findings of neuroscientists, psychologists, and education researchers to understand how the brain learns.
Major reference work
Active learning: books in the Stanford Libraries
Psychology of learning : Books in the Stanford Libraries catalog
Various software tools will format bibliographies in a desired style, such as the APA style. These software tools for bibliographic management include EndNote, Mendeley, RefWorks, and Zotero. Use these citation tools to output an annotated bibliography or at minimum to output a bibliography in the desired style and then type in the annotations.