This website contains information about the technology resources available for Language Center instructors. It is maintained by the Language Center Academic Technology Specialist (LCATS) Ken Romeo (kenro at stanford dot edu). If you don't find what you are looking for, please see What about ...?
Assessment: LC, CourseWork, SOPIs
- Stanford Language Center - The Language Center website has links to staff information, test schedules and test results.
- Placement Test Resources - Test center notices, digital audio recorder instructions, and other resources related to placement testing.
- Course Testing - Information for creating and scheduling midterms, finals, and other summative assessments for Language Center courses.
- SOPI - The SOPI website has information about the Simulated Oral Proficiency Interviews given at the end of every academic year, including schedules and instructions for instructors and staff.
- WPA - The WPA website has information about the Writing Proficiency Assessment given at the end of every academic year, including schedules and instructions for instructors and staff.
- CourseWork Resources - FAQs, guides and best practices for CW5, mostly for instructors, but also including some more overview and future topics. For topics not covered here, including setting up program project and resource sites, please contact the LCATS.
- Canvas Resources - Guides for using Canvas for common tasks in the Language Center: audio / video response, text / file submission, and file return (aka Drop Box replacement).
Desktop and Online Tools
- Wordpress blogs - Guidelines, setup and settings
- BlueJeans Audio and Video Conferenceing - Free for all Stanford faculty, staff and students
- Stanford Sites - Set up your own Drupal website (for individuals). Tutorials available at the User Guide.
- Mid-quarter evaluations - Resources for delivering evaluations online.
- Building Qualtrics Surveys for EFS & ALC Course Evaluations:
- Personal Release Agreements - this is a page in Stanford's Copyright and Fair Use website with a couple sample forms that can be adapted to your specific uses. Each form must be custom created. Examples are the University Communications Speaker Release and the Stanford Library Photo Video Release.
- OPI Role Play Prompts - A free and open collection of prompts. Stanford community members are encouraged to contribute.
Orientations and Communications
- LC Tech Coffee Meetings - Occasional, informal discussions of new technology for Language Center instructors
- Public / Social Media Online Account Guidelines - For teaching or otherwise using YouTube, Twitter, etc in connection with the Language Center.
- CourseWork Tutorial - Instructions for the self-study CourseWork tutorial for Language Center instructors.
- Current Workshop Schedule - A schedule for the current quarter.
- New Instructor Orientation - A list of things (with links) that I usually cover for new instructors.
- Instructor Machine Registration - For both summer/temporary and long-term instructors.
- Media Resources - For movies, documentaries, TV, music, and other media productions.
- Lynda.com - Stanford has a site license for this service, where you can find short tutorials and full courses on a wide range of technology.
- EFS Program Instructional Technology - For summer intensive program instructors
- FLTA Orientation - Fulbright Language Teaching Assistant Orientation at the Stanford Language Center
- Technology at the Language Center: Overview - This is the information I usually give to visitors, such as job candidates.
- About this website