Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Skip to content Skip to navigation

Coterminal MS Program

The coterminal Master's program provides an exceptional opportunity for students to pursue a graduate research experience and earn an MS degree concurrently with or subsequent to their BS studies.  The Master's degree is viewed as an entrance professional degree in numerous subdisciplines within the petroleum or geothermal industry, or in any related industry where analyzing flow in porous media or computer simulation skills are required.  Alternatively, graduate course work and the Master's research experience can provide an intermediate step prior to pursuit of the PhD.

Who is Eligible?

Students may apply to the co-term program after earning at least 120 units toward graduation, have a math background through MATH 53 and CS 106AB, and in time to take ENERGY 120, the basic introductory course in Autumn Quarter of the year they wish to begin the program. For more detailed information, please read the Procedures for Coterminal Students. The coterm program is only open to current Stanford students.

Contact the Department of Energy Resources Engineering to obtain additional information. For University coterminal degree program rules and University application forms, see the Registrar's website.

How to Apply

Students who wish to apply to the coterm program must submit an application directly to the ERE department.

The application includes:

  • The co-terminal application form
  • Statement of purpose 
  • A copy of a current Stanford transcript 
  • Three letters of recommendation from faculty members or job supervisors 
  • Official GRE Scores and a copy of the unofficial GRE scores
  • Preliminary Program Proposal

The completed application including all listed requirements is due one month before the last day of classes prior to when the student wants to begin the coterminal program.
(i.e. if applying for winter quarter, the complete application is due one month before the last day of classes autumn quarter).

For additional questions, please contact Student Services Administrator.