Student Employment

Federal Work-Study for Undergraduates

Federal Work-Study (FWS) jobs use federal funds to pay your wages, unlike a regular job where your wages are paid by your employer. If FWS is not included in your financial aid award, you may send a request to to have your eligibility reviewed.

Please note that International students and students not on financial aid are not eligible for FWS.

Use Your FWS Eligibility

Step 1

  • Accept your FWS Award in AXESS under the Finances tab, select "View My Financial Aid".
  • Summer FWS applicants are not required to accept their FWS Award ahead of time.

Step 2

  • Stanford's new career services platform, Handshake.

Step 3

  • Apply for the job and notify the supervisor or department administrator that you are eligible for FWS funds.

Step 4

  • Submit your FWS Authorization Request. Your employer may complete this form on your behalf.
  • This form is provided as a tool for students and department administrators to use to confirm eligibility of undergraduate student workers to be paid through the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program.
  • The information will be sent to the Financial Aid Office (FAO), where student eligibility for FWS will be confirmed. Within one week, the FAO will notify the department administrator of the student's maximum FWS earnings amount and provide the PTA (payroll account) number for FWS jobs. Student workers cannot be paid with FWS funds until this authorization form has been completed and reviewed.
FWS Authorization Request


We will notify you and your employer of your maximum FWS eligibility within one week of receiving your form. Any earnings in excess of your eligibility must be paid by your employer.

Federal Work-Study for Graduate Students

A limited number of graduate students may be eligible to obtain assistantships funded by the Federal Work-Study program. Please refer to the information in the Funding Options section of this website.

Updated on September 2, 2015 10:41 AM