Faculty & Staff

Working with Graduate Students

Federal Work-Study

A limited number of graduate students in the Schools of Engineering, Humanities & Sciences and Medicine (M.D.) may be eligible for research or teaching assistantships through the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program. Information on the FWS assistantship application process for graduate students in Engineering or Humanities & Sciences is available at Federal Work-Study Assistantships.

The FWS program requires an institutional matching component. For FWS research and teaching assistantships, schools and departments provide tuition allowance (TAL) as the institutional match.  The availability of Federal Work-Study funds for graduate students in various programs is established annually by the Financial Aid Office in cooperation with the Schools. Funds are limited by the annual federal funds allocation from the U.S. Department of Education.

To be eligible for consideration, students demonstrate eligibility for federal student aid funds by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). See Requirements and Deadlines. Students receiving FWS may be limited in the other types of funding they are eligible to receive.


Updated on October 15, 2015 10:24 PM