Finding Employment

If you are on an F-2 visa you cannot work, either on or off campus. There are no exceptions to this federal regulation.

If you are on a J-2 visa you can apply to the USCIS for work permission which allows you to work in almost any employment you can find. However, this employment must be for your benefit and cannot be used to support your J-1 spouse. Those with J-2 visas can find out how to apply for employment authorization by visiting our page on Applying for J-2 Employment Authorization.

For information on how your visa affects your employment situation, please come by Bechtel International Center and speak with an advisor.

The Career Development Center (723-3963), located in 563 Salvatierra Walk, offers workshops in resume writing, interviewing, and job-hunting strategies. Visit their web site at Spouses/domestic partners of current Stanford students are eligible for one appointment per academic year. Visit the Services for Spouses/Domestic Partners page for information on how to schedule this appointment. The CDC posts current job listings in the Cardinal Careers Job/Internships database.  Only Stanford students or alumni who are registered with the CDC can apply, via the Cardinal Careers system, for these listings.  Spouses/domestic partners, however, can view these listings using their Stanford student's  account and apply directly to the organization. The CDC Career Community Teams will offer meetups, informal gatherings to provide you with information on a variety of topics including job search strategies, resumes/cover letters, interviewing etc. Log into your Cardinal Careers account to see a schedule of the meetups. Make sure to use the keyword search at the top of the page to find the meetups targeting your career community.

To apply for jobs on campus, visit, where you can browse for job openings. Current listings can also be found in the Stanford Report.

To find temporary employment, contact Manpower Staffing Services (846-2200 or email: at 3825 El Camino Real. For other off-campus agencies, see the yellow pages of the telephone book, under “Employment Agencies.”

Check notice boards around campus (I-Center, Tresidder, academic departments, the Career Development Center, etc.) for postings of occasional work.

© Stanford University. All Rights Reserved. Stanford, CA 94305. (650) 723-2300. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints | Report web accessibility issue