Cap Gap I-20 Information

Under immigration regulations, the Cap Gap extension is a period in which an eligible F-1 student’s status is automatically extended to bridge the gap between the end of F-1 status and start of H-1B status.

Note that all documents are submitted to the I-Center ONLY. There is no document submission to USCIS.

Please be sure that your SEVIS (US) address in Axess has been updated prior to submission of your documents to the I-Center. Your I-20 will be mailed to the SEVIS (US) address you have in Axess.

Report the H-1B information online here:
Email with the following information:

  • Name
    Student ID number
    SEVIS ID number
    Scanned receipt notice for H-1B petition - Notice of Action Form I-797/E-mail notification from USCIS
  • NOTE: Consular processing of an H-1B disqualifies the student from a Cap Gap I-20

You may apply for the Cap Gap I-20 as soon as you have received the Receipt Notice for H-1B Petition (Notice of Action Form I-797). A new EAD card will NOT be issued.

I-9 process with your current employer

  • Submit the following:
    • Expired EAD card
    • Receipt Notice for H-1B Petition (Notice of Action Form I-797)
    • Cap Gap I-20

Please contact your attorney regarding travel while your H petition is pending. It is generally not recommended to depart the U.S. if you have a Cap-Gap I-20 and an expired EAD card as you are at risk of denial at the U.S. port of entry.

These documents comprise the equivalent of an unexpired EAD, List A, number 4 of the form I-9. This combination of documents satisfies the form I-9 until September 30 or the date of rejection, denial or revocation of the H-1B petition.


Return to Employment page

© Stanford University. All Rights Reserved. Stanford, CA 94305. (650) 723-2300. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints | Report web accessibility issue