FAQ: IRT Information Security Services
Look below for answers to your question. If you still need help, file a help ticket and we'll answer your questions.
Who do I contact IF:
- My computer or phone is lost or stolen? -- See the Data Security Page
- My computer is having technical problems? -- Contact Desktop Support by filing a help ticket or calling the help line: x5-8000
- My computer might be infected or virusy/SCEP says I have a virus? -- Contact local desktop support and/or file a help ticket with IRT Information Security Services.
- I got a DMCA notice? --See Reporting a Security Incident
- I'm getting lots of spam? -- See our Spam page for more info. There's no need to contact us unless it's an email scam that almost got you; regular spam is unfortunately a part of life.
- I accidentally clicked on a link in a spam email? -- See our Spam page for more info. Just in case, you should probably change your SUNetID password and your other important passwords, be on the lookout for strange activity on your computer, and file a help ticket.
- I need to modify a firewall rule? -- See the IRT security Firewall page
- I want to get my computer on the Stanford network at the VA Hospital? -- See the VA: SLE page.
- I want to get my computer on the SUMCnet? -- SUMCnet page
- I have questions about HIPAA and about information privacy? -- See the HIPAA Contact page -- University Privacy Officer; SoM Privacy Officer
- I have general computer security questions? -- Contact Information Security Services
How do I:
- Get firewalls modified/change a firewall rule? -- IRT security Firewall page
- Send secure emails? -- Stanford Secure Email
- Send really big files to people? -- MedSecureSend (MSS)
- Fix this problem I'm having with MSS? -- MedSecureSend (MSS) FAQ
- Back up my computer? -- Back up automatically with CrashPlan; or explore alternative backup solutions.
- Encrypt my computer? -- Data Security Program Encryption FAQ
- Connect to Stanford with my home computer? -- VPN and Remote Desktop
- File a help ticket? -- If you need help with the above tasks or anything else, file a help ticket with security.
Where can I find:
- HIPAA rules -- hipaa.stanford.edu
- List of HIPAA identifiers -- HIPAA and anonymizing data
- Stanford's new encryption policies -- med.stanford.edu/datasecurity
- Stanford's official computing policies -- Chapter Six of the Admin Guide
- Stanford's information security office (ISO) -- security.stanford.edu