Graduate Student Tuition
Matriculated graduate students are expected to enroll for at least eight units during the Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters. Schools and departments may set a higher minimum. During the Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters, matriculated graduate students in most departments may register at the reduced 8-, 9-, or 10-unit tuition rate if their enrollment plans are accepted by their departments. Students in the Stanford Law School, in the MBA program in the Graduate School of Business, or the M.D. program in the School of Medicine, should consult appropriate school officers about tuition reduction eligibility.
Graduate students who are enrolled in more than one graduate degree at Stanford, where each program charges a different tuition, are charged:
- the tuition associated with a degree in the doctoral/professional category, if the other degree is in the master's category. Those degrees in the doctoral or professional category for tuition purposes are the Ph.D., D.M.A., J.S.D., M.D., and J.D. degrees. Those degrees in the master's category for tuition purposes are the Engineer, M.A., M.S., M.P.P., M.B.A., M.F.A., L.L.M., M.L.S., and J.S.M. degrees.
- the higher tuition rate, if both degrees are in the same category.
- a University-approved tuition rate if the student is in a special program for which specific tuition agreements have been approved by the Faculty Senate (e.g., all joint degree programs (JDPs) or the Master of Science in Medicine program).
During the Summer Quarter registration is not required by Stanford University and does not substitute for registration during the academic year. Students are required to be enrolled Summer Quarter if, during that quarter, they will meet any of the criteria listed in the "Enrollment Requirements" section of the "Graduate Degrees" section of this bulletin. Graduate students who do enroll Summer Quarter may reduce their enrollment to a minimum of one unit (charged on a per-unit basis, with a minimum tuition charge at the 1-3 unit rate) unless the terms of a fellowship or other financial support, or of their particular degree program, require a higher level of enrollment. TGR students who enroll in summer pay the TGR rate and must enroll in the required zero-unit course. Students in the schools of Law, Business, or the M.D. program should consult appropriate school officers regarding summer enrollment requirements. Students possessing an F1 or J1 student visa may be subject to additional course enrollment requirements in order to retain their student visas.
Honors Cooperative students register at the per-unit rate. Graduate students who are faculty spouses, regular Stanford employees, or full-time educators in the Bay Area may also register at the per-unit rate.
Nonmatriculated graduate students pay the same tuition rates as matriculated students, but must register for at least 8 units. Visiting Student Researchers pay a monthly fee; they may not enroll in or audit courses. Within certain restrictions, postdoctoral scholars may enroll in courses if the appropriate unit rate for tuition is paid.
The following reduced-tuition categories can be requested by matriculated graduate students in the final stages of their degree programs:
- Terminal Graduate Registration (TGR)Doctoral students, master's students, and students pursuing Engineer degrees who have completed all degree requirements other than the University oral exam and dissertation (doctoral students) or a required project or thesis (Engineer or master's students) and meet the conditions listed in the "TGR" section of this bulletin may request Terminal Graduate Registration tuition status.
Each quarter, TGR students must enroll in the 801 (for master's and Engineer students) or 802 (for doctoral students) course in their department for zero units, in the appropriate section for their adviser. TGR students register at a special tuition rate: $2,604 per quarter in 2011-12. TGR students may enroll in up to 3 units of course work per quarter at this tuition rate. Within certain restrictions, TGR students may enroll in additional courses at the applicable unit rate. The additional courses cannot be applied toward degree requirements since all degree requirements must be complete in order to earn TGR status.
- Graduate Tuition AdjustmentGraduate students who need fewer than 8 units to complete degree requirements or to qualify for TGR status, may register for one quarter on a unit basis (3 to 7 units) to cover the deficiency. This status may be used only once during a degree program. For per-unit tuition rates, see the Registrar's tuition web site at http://registrar.stanford.edu/students/finances.
- Graduation QuarterRegistration is required for the term in which a student submits a dissertation or has a degree conferred. Students who meet the conditions listed in the "Graduation Quarter" section of this bulletin are eligible to be assessed a special tuition rate of $100 for the quarter in which they are receiving a degree.