skip to content

Bulletin Archive

This archived information is dated to the 2011-12 academic year only and may no longer be current.

For currently applicable policies and information, see the current Stanford Bulletin.

Engineer Degree in Electrical Engineering

The degree of Engineer requires a minimum of 90 units of residency. Units completed at Stanford towards a master's degree in an Engineering discipline may be used towards the 90-unit residency requirement for the Engineer degree. A student who received an M.S. degree elsewhere can transfer in 45 units towards the 90-unit requirement for an Engineer's degree. This requires the student to fill out the Application for Graduate Residency Credit form to be filed with the Degree Progress Office in the Registrar's Office.

Work toward the degree of Engineer in Electrical Engineering normally includes the requirements for work toward the master's degree in Electrical Engineering, including qualifications for admission.

An additional year allows time for a broader program, or a more concentrated program, or whatever arrangement may seem suitable to the candidate, the adviser, and the department. Advanced study at other universities, or in other departments at Stanford, may be allowed within the foregoing consideration. The equivalent of approximately one quarter is devoted to independent study and thesis work with faculty guidance. The thesis is often of the nature of a professional report on the solution of a design problem. The degree of Engineer differs from the Ph.D. in that it prepares for professional engineering work rather than theoretical research. The candidate may select courses that are suitable for either the degree of Engineer or the Ph.D. degree and decide later which program to pursue.

Applicants currently working toward the Stanford M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering should request permission to continue graduate studies beyond the master's degree, using the Graduate Program Authorization Petition form obtained from the Department of Electrical Engineering office.

During the first quarter of work beyond the M.S. degree, formal application for admission to candidacy for the degree of Engineer is made on a form that can be obtained from the department office. The student prepares his or her academic study plan with the help of the thesis adviser and submits it to the academic associate for approval. The form should contain a list of all graduate courses completed at Stanford and elsewhere and all courses yet to be completed. For the most recent information, see

© Stanford University - Office of the Registrar. Archive of the Stanford Bulletin 2011-12. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints