skip to content

Bulletin Archive

This archived information is dated to the 2011-12 academic year only and may no longer be current.

For currently applicable policies and information, see the current Stanford Bulletin.

Minor in Political Science

Students must complete their declaration of the minor on Axess no later than the end of the junior year. They must submit the minor declaration form to the undergraduate administrator in Encina Hall West 100. This form can be found in Encina Hall West 100 or at

To receive a minor in Political Science, a student must complete a minimum of 30 unduplicated units. All units must be in Political Science courses or cognate courses. All courses for the minor must be taken for a letter grade. Students must receive a minimum letter grade of 'C' in all courses for the minor.

Concentration—The student selects a primary subfield in which three courses are taken. One of these courses is the introductory course, the other two are at a more advanced level (numbered above 100). The concentration corresponds to one of the subfields the department already has in place, namely, American politics, comparative politics, international relations, and political theory.

Distribution—Three courses must be in the primary concentration, as specified above, for 15 units. An additional 10 units of intermediate and advanced courses (100 level or above) must be in two additional subfields. The final 5 units may be in any related subfield. ECON 1A or 1B may also be used to satisfy the last five units.

Petitioned courses— Students may petition for a maximum of 5 units to count towards the minor. This includes directed readings and Stanford in Washington courses. Directed readings and Stanford in Washington courses may only count towards the last five related units for the minor.Transfer students can petition a maximum of 10 units towards the minor, while non-transfer students can petition a maximum of five units towards the major. All petitioned courses must be individually reviewed and approved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies. Students can download the petition form or pick one up from Encina Hall West, room 100. Students must submit petitions to the undergraduate administrator in Encina Hall West, room 100.

© Stanford University - Office of the Registrar. Archive of the Stanford Bulletin 2011-12. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints