News Desk Editor
The Christian Science Monitor seeks an experienced news editor to join the Boston team of the Monitor Daily, a digital subscription publication. The Daily reflects the Monitor’s global outlook, and puts a premium on distinctive coverage that gets at the heart of the economic and cultural dynamics as well as underlying values that drive developments.
Monitor news editors focus on regional or topical coverage, with close attention to themes and thought patterns. They have a deep appreciation of our journalistic approach, not only in terms of individual stories but the mix that makes up the Daily package. They are responsible for keeping abreast of news and developments pertaining to their beat, helping their assigned writers to develop distinctive angles, and coordinating coverage with other desk editors, as well as the Daily editor, the deputy Daily editor, and the managing editor. They have a sharp eye for what stories can be addressed in fresh ways, including graphically or through video. They are equally comfortable with news and features, are highly self-motivated, and know how to build great relationships with regular writers as well as freelancers.
We are looking for candidates who have at least five years’ experience editing and a proven track record in assigning smart stories, bringing out the best in their writers, and meeting deadlines. They should have a clear appreciation for lively writing and a respect for readers demonstrated through appropriate story length and timely coverage. They should be able to exercise a light touch in editing that honors the writer’s voice, but also be able to handle heavy rewrites as needed.
The successful candidate should also have the skills to take on discrete writing assignments from time to time. We are particularly interested in someone knowledgeable about equity issues as they play out in a variety of institutions in the United States.
The Monitor has recently launched its Daily publication, which joins our weekly magazine in offering readers insights into top news issues, global trends, and distinctive features. Our new initiatives offer the right candidate an exciting opportunity to innovate and help drive our publications forward. If you are interested in a dynamic and collegial experience in a newsroom driven by a distinctive editorial outlook, we look forward to hearing from you.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by December 20, 2017.
Digital Marketing Fellow
The Digital Marketing Fellow supports the digital marketing efforts of The Christian Science Monitor. The incumbent supports existing marketing campaigns and collaborates with teammates to generate new efforts focused on acquisitions and conversions related to the Monitor’s free and premium products. Efforts are executed and distributed in a variety of online channels including, but not limited to, Facebook, Google AdWords, on csmonitor.com, and via email.
To apply, please submit your application here.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with planning and executing web, social, search, and email campaigns
- Maintain and support weekly newsletters within the marketing cloud and email system
- Suggest, design, and maintain promotional and marketing concepts, including new concepts related to video, animation, and the changing digital landscape
- Work with senior staffers to identify trends and insights, and optimize spend and performance based on the insights
- Brainstorm new, creative marketing and growth strategies
- Collaborate with editorial, product, and marketing teams to enhance the user experience
- Develop strong analytical ability to evaluate end-to-end customer experience across multiple channels and customer touch points
- Support the Monitor's social platforms, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Supervisor: Manager, Marketing: Audience Acquisition
This position has regular contact with all staff levels of The Christian Science Monitor and business sponsors/partners
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in journalism, communications, marketing or related field of study. Experience supporting paid, digital marketing campaigns or integrating social media activities into a larger brand strategy.
- Strong writing, grammar, and editing skills.
- Familiarity with Adobe design software (PhotoShop, Illustrator, Premier)
- Organized, detail-oriented, and efficient self-starter with solid time management skills
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format
- Proficient in HTML and CSS
- Professional experience shooting, producing and editing video
- Team player, with the confidence to take the lead and guide others when necessary
- Creative and technical thinker who can pick up new tools quickly
- Knowledge of the news industry and how social media is being used by different outlets and publications.
This position is located in Boston.
Christian Science Information
Membership in the Mother Church is preferred.
To apply, please submit your application through our job portal.
Newsroom editorial internships
The Christian Science Monitor is seeking editorial interns with solid journalism skills to write and edit across the Monitor’s various print and online platforms. Applicants will be self-starters, have keen analytical skills, a basic understanding of world events, and an ability to write and edit with clarity and precision.
Duties will include pitching, reporting, and writing stories with angles that strive to bring understanding to divisive topics, show new innovative approaches to a wide range of problems, and highlight areas of progress.
A creative and deft approach and an attention to detail are all requisites. Interns will emerge from their experience as stronger writers able to discern and analyze trends in addition to earning valuable day-to-day experience working with top-notch editors in a dynamic newsroom.
Work Schedule: Paid and academic interns will work Monday through Friday, between 35 to 40 hours a week. Position is based in Boston, Mass.
- Spring internships run from January through the beginning of May. Application deadline is October 15.
- Summer internships run from the end of May through mid August. Application deadline is January 15.
- Fall internships run from September through December. Application deadline is July 15.
To apply, please contact the Internship Manager, and send a résumé, cover letter, and clips to:
Kendra Nordin Beato
The Christian Science Monitor
210 Massachusetts Avenue – P02-20
Boston, MA 02115