We are improving our website to help you find what you're looking for. During this transition some URLs may change. Learn more...

Reduce Your Child's Chances of Pesticide Poisoning

Keep these common household pesticides out of children’s reach:

  • bath and kitchen disinfectants and sanitizers, including bleach
  • products used to kill mold or mildew
  • roach sprays and baits
  • insect repellents
  • rat and other rodent poisons
  • weed killers
  • flea and tick shampoos, powders and dips for pets
  • swimming pool chemicals

Use these tips to help you poison-proof your home:


  • Lock up all pesticides and harmful products in a cabinet, out of a child’s reach.
  • Install safety latches on cabinets.
  • Crawl around on your hands and knees to see if you've missed any potential dangers from your child's viewpoint.

Pesticide labels

  • Read the label first.
  • Follow the directions as they are written on the label before using a product.

Pesticide containers

  • Use child-resistant packaging correctly by tightly sealing the container after every use.
  • Re-close a pesticide package if ever interrupted during application (e.g., phone call, doorbell, etc.).
  • Make sure the container is completely out of children's reach while you're absent.
  • Keep pesticides in their original containers.
  • Never put poisonous products in containers that could be mistaken for food or drinks.

Other tips

  • Alert all caregivers about the potential dangers of pesticides and share these tips with them.
  • Teach children that “pesticides are poisons” and not to be touched.
  • Pesticides you use to control fleas and ticks on your pets can be transfered to your children. Protect your pets and children by carefully following the label directions and precautions. 
  • Post the Poison Control Centers Exit national hotline phone number, 1(800)222-1222, near every telephone in your home and program it into your cell phone.

Top of Page

Additional Resources:

Top of Page

Top of Page