PAUSD schools will be closed to students beginning Monday, March 16 through the end of PAUSD’s regularly scheduled spring break (which ends Friday, April 10). During this emergency closure, work permits will not be processed.
If you would like to work and you are not yet 18 years of age, you will need a work permit.
Before you begin the application process, please note the following:
- Students must have an offer of a paid job
- We do not issue blank work permits
- Students may not work private residences (except students who work for their own parents in their own home)
- We do not issue blanket work permits
- Students working for a third party (employment agency) must have the end site, where they are physically working, listed as the employer with that business' address and signature on the work permit application. We do not issue work permits to employment agencies
- A work permit is needed for each and every job that a student holds
- Work permits expire five days into the new school year and must be renewed as needed
- All minors need a work permit to legally work in California
- Work permits are only issued by the school district to students who attend a Palo Alto Unified School. If you attend a private school, charter school or are homeschooled, you must seek a permit from your school site administrator
- See the district calendar for details on holidays and the availability of staff.
Please follow the four steps listed below to apply for a work permit:
1. Complete Work Permit Application Form (CDE Form B1-1). Make sure that you complete all 4 sections of the permit for prompt processing. If sections are left blank or incomplete, we will not be able to process your application.
2. To process your application, please contact:
During The School Year
- High Schools Requests
- Rachael Kaci (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Email for an appointment OR
- Gunn: Wednesday 8:30am – 9:30am & Friday during Lunch (work permit office is in the main office across from attendance). During the week of 3/30-4/3, work permits will be available by appointment only due to the special testing schedule.
- Paly: brunch everyday but Wed. in office 711 (inside the double doors of the 700 building)
- Middle Schools Requests
- High Schools Requests
Please note that students can drop off their permits at any time and can expect to have them processed within one week.
3. Once the permit has been processed and signed, students will be given the permit to deliver to their employer.
4. A copy of the permit will be mailed to the student’s parent/guardian
If you have questions please email Jessica Tabron or you can visit the Curriculum and Career Education office at the above address.
phone: (650) 833-4231