Try FLEX for FREE on April 22 (Earth Day!)
VTA's new FLEX dynamic transit pilot program is now operational in North San Jose.
FLEX is an on-demand connection service between regular transit stops and high-density employment centers and/or retail centers that prioritizes your valuable time by minimizing wait times. In addition, FLEX provides better access to transit by shortening or eliminating the distance that you have to walk to a bus or light rail stop. Cutting edge software automatically routes vehicles to pick up customers along a similar travel route while minimizing travel times. You can request and pay for your ride right from your smartphones whenever and whenever you need a ride. FLEX does not travel a fixed route or fixed schedule
Download the VTA FLEX and also receive a $6.00 credit to ride FLEX more!
What is it?
- FLEX is an On-Demand, shared-ride public transit service. Other riders that have similar travel destinations may be picked up and dropped off during the course of your ride.
- FLEX is ideally suited for smartphone users. Riders can use the app to request a ride.
- On the App – easiest
- On the Web - please visit vta.ridecell.com
Service Days & Times
- FLEX’s service area is approximately six square miles in North San Jose (surrounding VTA’s Tasman Light Rail Station)
- Boundaries are
- North – Route 237, Nortech Parkway & McCarthy Ranch
- South – Montague Expressway & Trimble Road
- East – Interstate 880 & McCarthy Boulevard
- West – Lafayette Street
- Monday – Friday; 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Peak Hours 5:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.; 3:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- The last Flex ride MUST be completed by 8:30 p.m.
- Single Ride - $2.00 (Off-Peak Hours)
- Single Ride - $3.00 (Peak Hours)
- Customers who fail to cancel a ride before the bus is dispatched or have failed to show up for their rides will be charged the regular fare.
What VTA fare can I use on FLEX?
Currently you must pay for your ride using an account that you set up on the FLEX app. Once you complete your ride on FLEX your account will be charged. FLEX does not accept Clipper cards, VTA Monthly Passes, VTA Day Passes, VTA Express Day Passes, Cash, Eco Pass nor any other VTA forms of fare.
How do I know if I’ve been assigned a driver?
You will be notified via text message when booking through the app. If booked over the phone, the customer service representative will let you know once you’re assigned a driver and their estimated time of arrival. You can also check out the web or app to see real-time updates about your requested ride.
How long does it take for my driver to pick me up? Can I track my driver?
It depends on trip requests at any given time. The web and app interface will show you an estimated time of arrival, based on the driver’s GPS location and current trip load.
Where will I wait for the FLEX bus? Are there bus stops?
X marks the spot! The app will provide you walking directions to the FLEX stop where you will be picked up. The stops are marked with FLEX floor decals.
Can I bring an Animal onboard FLEX?
- Only service animals are welcome on FLEX. The animal must be under the control of the passenger throughout the trip and while boarding and exiting.
- Service animals may sit on the floor or in the rider’s lap. Service animals may not sit in a passenger seat.
Can I contact the driver?
No, you cannot contact the driver, but you can determine the driver’s location through the real time mapping on the app.
If I cancel my ride request, then make another one, will my request go to the end of the request queue?
Yes, every time you cancel and resubmit a request, the process starts all over again. Your request will be put at the end of the queue and then be assigned to the next available driver.
I don't have a smart phone, can I create my account online?
Yes, you can create your Flex account through the web on this page.
*FLEX is a pilot program and the fare structure may change during and/or after this pilot program phase. Please continue to check this page for updates.
Notices & Service AlertsLast update: 05/03/2016
Cinco De Mayo Week Reroutes: As needed, between Thursday May 5th - Sunday May 8th
Reroute of Line 35: in Palo Alto due to May Fete Parade 5/7
Reroute of Lines 23 & 323: due to Hola 5K Run 5/7