Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Region 9

Pacific Southwest, Region 9

Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations

EPA ID Numbers

How to Obtain An EPA (Federal) RCRA ID Number

Federal RCRA ID Numbers (EPA IDs) are issued directly by Region 9 states.  For assistance in determining if you handle a federally regulated hazardous waste, help in obtaining an EPA ID, or to update information for an existing ID, please contact the appropriate agency listed below for the state in which your facility is located.

For locations in Arizona:
Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ)
Hazardous Waste Section
1110 Washington St, 4415A-1
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 771-4232

For locations in American Samoa, Guam, Commonwealth of Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI), or on Tribal Lands:
U.S. EPA Region 9
RCRA Notifications (handled by contractor, Tetra Tech)
75 Hawthorne Street, LND-1-1
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 495-8895

For locations in California:
California Department of Toxic Substances Control
c/o Tetra Tech, Inc
Attn: RCRA Notifications
1999 Harrison Street, Suite 500
Oakland, CA 94612

For locations in Hawaii:
Hawaii Department of Health
Solid and Hazardous Waste Branch
919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 212
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808) 586-4226

For locations in Nevada:
Nevada Division of Environmental Protection (NDEP)
Bureau of Waste Management
901 S. Stewart Street, Suite 4001
Carson City, NV 89701
(775) 687-9464

For emergency spills, only when state offices are closed, please call the following number for all Region 9 states.  The Duty Officer will route your call appropriately depending on your location.
(800) 300-2193

Region 9 Emergency Response

The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requires individuals who generate or transport hazardous waste, or who operate a facility for recycling, treating, storing, or disposing (TSD) of hazardous waste, to notify EPA or their authorized State waste management agency of their regulated waste activities and obtain a US EPA Identification (ID) Number (also known as a RCRA ID Number). Handlers of some Universal Waste, Used Oil, and Boilers/Industrial Furnace may require a US EPA ID Number, too. If you are regulated and do not comply with the RCRA notification requirements, you may be subject to civil and criminal penalties.

Graphic of RCRA's Cradle-to-Grave Hazardous Waste Management SystemThe Notification of Regulated Waste Activity (EPA Form 8700-12) and associated instructions are designed to help you determine if you are subject to the requirements under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) for notifying EPA or an authorized state of your regulated waste activities.

A US EPA ID Number is site-specific (except when issued to a transporter) and permanent (unless issued as a Provisional number, as discussed below). It does not move with the current owner/operator should they relocate unless the owner/operator is a transporter. It is used by EPA to track hazardous wastes from the point of generation to the final disposal site, also known as the "cradle-to-grave" cycle. Once a US EPA ID number is assigned to a specific physical location, it belongs solely to that location and will belong to any owners/operators at that location. "One RCRA EPA ID for One RCRA Subtitle C Site". When a business, located at a site where a US EPA ID number exists, moves to another location (even within the same State or town) the ID number must be inactivated at the former location and a new ID number requested at the new location. A new form is required when relocating or requesting a new US EPA ID number. If at the new location, a RCRA hazardous waste ID number had previously been issued to the former owner/operator, the number for that physical location will then be assigned to the new requester. If a number had never been issued for that physical location, a new number will be issued to the new requester.

Some US EPA ID numbers are not permanent; they are Provisional numbers and temporary in nature. They are issued for emergency or temporary one time clean-ups. Provisional EPA ID numbers are valid for 90 days, then inactivated in the National system.

To determine if your location already has been assigned a US EPA Hazardous Waste ID number, look in EPA's Envirofacts Warehouse database by the physical location first (be sure to put in the State you want to search within).

Top of page

Region 9 NewsroomRegion 9 Programs Grants & Funding US-Mexico Border Media Center Careers About Region 9A-Z Index

Jump to main content.