To ensure you receive the full benefit of our staff development courses, please read our policies prior to enrolling.
Unless otherwise specified, our courses take place on campus in the Poplar Training Room, located inside the Poplar Modular at 215 Panama Street.
Course Pre-Work and Preparation
The majority of our courses include support for you both before and after the event. From goal setting activities and self-evaluations to coaching and resource sharing, our pre-work and follow-up is meant to help you succeed.
To get the most out of your experience, please take the time to complete the activities prior to the course. It is also important to inform and involve your manager of and in your course participation, to ensure any time away from your job is aligned to organizational goals.
We understand that work and life can be unpredictable, and there may be times when you need to drop from a course. If you enrolled in a course and no longer can attend, our cancellation policy and associated fees may apply.
- If you drop a course five or more business days prior to course: You will not be charged for dropping the course and course fees (if applicable) will be refunded.
- If you drop a course within four business days prior to course: You will be charged $75 and the full course fee (if applicable).
In some instances, a supervisor may request you drop a course due to an immediate work need. In these cases, the supervisor will need to authorize a charge back to the departmental PTA for the drop fee as well as any additional course fees that may apply.
To Drop from STARS:
- Login to Axess
- Click the STARS (Training) tab
- Click My Learning from the left menu
- Click the Drop button next to the course title to cancel your enrollment. You will receive a confirmation email
It can be very disruptive to the learning process to have people enter class late or leave early. These disruptions are hard on participants and challenging for instructors to accommodate.
- Due to the disruption to the class and to the learning experiences of other attendees, participants who arrive more than 10 minutes late will not be permitted to attend the session.
- Participants who are turned away from a session due to lateness will be charged a $75 “no-show” fee, on top of any additional fees paid to enroll.
- In cases of a course with a waiting list, participants who arrive late may have their seat forfeited to a waitlisted participant.
- Participants enrolled in courses should plan to stay for the complete duration of the course. Although there is no financial penalty for leaving early, if you know you cannot stay for the entire course, we discourage you from enrolling in a course, thereby taking a spot from another participant who could take full advantage of the learning opportunity.
To ensure you make it on time, you may want to arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of the course to allow sufficient time to find a parking space, locate the classroom, meet the instructor and fellow participations, receive your course materials, and settle in to prepare for learning.
While we understand that circumstances beyond your control may arise, we hope you realize that our policies exist to ensure a high-quality experience free of disruptions for all participants.
Most courses include a nominal fee to help cover course costs and allow for expansion of course offerings. STAP funds, PTA department funds and personal payments are all accepted for participation in these courses.
Fees are as follows:
- $75: Half-day courses
- $100: Full-day courses
- $250+: Full-day or more programs (including follow-up webinars and ongoing peer coaching meetings) with in-depth assessments and other materials
If you are unable to attend a course due to fees, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, as scholarships are available on a case by case basis.