Enrollment Requirements and Eligibility for Graduate Housing

Stanford Student Housing offers housing to undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in a degree program (matriculated students) and students who are enrolled at Stanford but are not pursuing degrees (non-matriculated students). Students must be considered enrolled by the Registrar's Office to be eligible for housing.

If not enrolled full time, undergraduate students must have an approved 13th Quarter petition or a Permit to Attend for Services Only. Graduate students must be enrolled for at least eight units or have terminal graduate registration (TGR, TMR).

Priority is given to students who are matriculated in at least eight units and currently matriculated students enrolled in fewer than eight units or non-matriculated students are only considered for Spring and Summer Quarters. Graduate students who are approved to take a Registrar's graduation quarter are eligible for housing.

Students auditing classes or enrolled in the Master of Liberal Arts part-time graduate program are not eligible for housing. If your status changes to non-matriculated after you are assigned to University housing, you must notify Housing Assignments immediately.

Enrollment Requirements

Except during Summer Quarter, you must be enrolled during the time you live on campus. You do not need to be enrolled in courses when you apply, but you must be eligible to enroll and must not have any enrollment or housing holds. International students with an administrative hold from the Bechtel International Center will be permitted to check in.

In situations where both spouses/partners are Stanford students, only one student must be enrolled to maintain eligibility for housing. However, in the one-bedroom plus den apartments, both students must be enrolled for the contract period or be approved to be in housing while on leave. Students can gain approval from Housing Assignments by logging onto the Housing and Dining section in Axess to file the appropriate petition under the Forms and Petitions tab.


Summer Quarter

You may live in housing without enrolling for Summer Quarter if you enrolled the previous Spring Quarter or you are a graduate student who has been assigned for Autumn Quarter. You do not need to file a petition.

Vacation Quarter

Graduate students who successfully petition may live in housing without enrolling for one vacation quarter during autumn, winter, or spring. However, the Graduate student:

  • Must be on official one-term leave from the University
  • Must have been enrolled during the previous three consecutive quarters (including summer)
  • Must enroll for the quarter following the leave

Undergraduate students are not eligible for vacation quarters.

Maternity Leave

Matriculated and enrolled women graduate students who are expecting a baby and who successfully petition may be permitted to live in housing without enrolling for one or two quarters if they are on pregnancy leave and enroll for the quarter following their leave.

Matriculated and enrolled “non-birth parents” who successfully petition may be permitted to live in housing without enrolling for the quarter during which the child is born or adopted. The term “non-birth parent” as used in this policy includes: a) spouses/partners of women (who do not have to be Stanford students) anticipating or recently experiencing the birth of a child b) parents who adopt a child c) parents by means of surrogacy.

Medical Leave

Students who successfully petition may be permitted to live in housing without enrolling for one quarter if they are on a medical leave and enroll for the quarter following their leave.

Post-Graduation Quarter

Students who successfully petition may be permitted to live in housing for one quarter without enrolling after they receive their degree. Post-graduation quarter requests are only approved after all other students are accommodated. Because of the high demand for housing, we can’t offer Graduation quarter housing during Autumn Quarter and it is usually unavailable during Winter Quarter. Please note: Undergraduate students who apply for a Registrar’s graduation quarter are not eligible to continue to live in University Housing. See Registrar’s page for more details.

Holds and Loss of Eligibility

If you have active enrollment or housing holds or you are not eligible to enroll by the date your assignment begins, you will be unable to move into your residence. If you cease to be enrolled while in residence, you must file a termination form on Axess and move out of University housing. Select the Terminate Your Contract option in the Housing and Dining section of Axess.

Eligibility for Graduate Housing

Stanford Graduate Housing provides three different types of housing: select the link below to view eligibility requirements for each type.

Single Graduate Housing

Graduate students or undergraduate students 25 years of age or older attending Stanford without a spouse, partner, or children are eligible for Single Graduate Housing. Single students are assigned to a variety of single-occupancy studio apartments and shared apartments with one, two, three or four bedrooms.

Couples without Children Housing

Graduate and undergraduate students who are married or in a domestic partnership with a partner who will co-occupy an apartment with them at least 50% of each week are eligible to live in Couples without Children housing. At Stanford, a domestic partnership is defined as an established, long-term partnership between two people with an exclusive mutual commitment in which the partners share the necessities of life and ongoing responsibility for their mutual welfare.

Students with Children Housing

Graduate or undergraduate students who have one to three legally-dependent children living with them at least 50 percent of each week are eligible to live in Student with Children Housing. Students with children may or may not be married or in a domestic partnership. Students with shared custody of their children qualify for this type of housing if the children physically occupy the apartment at least 50% of each week. If you are expecting a child, you may apply for Student with Children Housing for the quarter that corresponds to the second trimester of pregnancy.