Undergraduate Housing Reassignment Request

After students are assigned to a particular residence, they may choose to seek a more preferred choice by trying for reassignment. There are two ways this can happen – after the Draw or mid-year.

After The Draw

  • If you receive an assignment that was not a preferred choice, you can join the Autumn Waiting List for reassignment. The deadline to do this is in early July. See the calendar for specific deadlines.
  • You will keep your original assignment if we cannot assign you to one of your more preferred choices.
  • You may not cancel your reassignment and remain in your original housing (your former assignment is allocated simultaneously to another student on the Waiting List).
  • Information about this process is included in the Draw assignment letter you receive in May.


  • Reassignments are made each quarter through the Continuous Assignments process if all students without housing are offered a space and there are still vacancies on campus.
  • If, after the fifth week of the quarter, we are unable to accommodate all students looking for housing or if there are no vacancies left after all students are accommodated, we will not be able to offer reassignments for that quarter.
  • Reassignments are only made into vacant rooms. Direct swaps between students are not permitted.
  • You can apply for a reassignment by logging into Axess, going to the Student drop-down menu and selecting Housing and Dining, selecting Apply for Reassignment, and following the prompts.
  • After you have applied for reassignment in Axess, you must submit a Reassignment Authorization Form to Housing Assignments. The Reassignment Authorization form must be signed by your Residence Dean. Note: Students living at Oak Creek are not required to submit the Reassignment Authorization Form.
  • Reassignment applications are considered in the order in which they are received however students reassigning from Oak Creek are given priority for reassignment over students currently living on campus.
  • A $200 reassignment fee will be added to your University bill if a reassignment is made. You will not be charged for applying. Note: Students reassigning out of Oak Creek are not charged a reassignment fee.

Change in Family or Marital Status

  • If you are getting married or want to live as a couple on campus, you should know that married students, students with a same-sex or opposite-sex domestic partners, and students with children need to apply for Graduate housing as a Couple or Family (students with children). Please note that the deadline for Couples and Families may differ from the undergraduate housing deadline dates.
  • If you join a Graduate Housing Waiting List round due to a change in your marital or family status and you are reassigned, you may not cancel your reassignment and remain in your original housing. Your former assignment is allocated simultaneously to another student on the Waiting List.