What To Bring

Family helping a student move in

Moving In

When you are deciding what to bring to your Stanford residence, keep in mind that:

  • You may find it easier to buy some items after you arrive, rather than having them shipped from home.
  • It’s often a good idea to wait to buy certain items until you move in so you can coordinate purchases and rentals with your roommate/s. This way, your room does not end up with more items than it can reasonably accommodate. This is especially true of microwaves and micro refrigerators, which can easily be shared.
  • All rooms and apartments are furnished unless you have requested an unfurnished apartment in housing for couples or students with children. Check the Housing Options section for lists of Stanford-provided furniture and other items.
  • You’ll need to provide your own bedding, including a pillow and pillow cases, bed pad, sheets and a blanket or comforter.
Housing Type Bed Size
Single Undergraduate Twin extra-long (36″ x 80″)
Single Graduate
Escondido Village Studio Apartments
Full extra-long (54″ x 80″)
Schwab Residential Center Full extra-long (54″ x 80″)
Munger Graduate Residences

Full extra-long (54”x 80”) in most. Queen (60"x 80") in one-bedroom apartments

All other rooms and apartments Twin extra-long (36″ x 80″)
Couples without children Queen (60″ x 80″)
Students with children  Master bedroom
Queen (60″ x 80″)
Children’s bedrooms
Twin extra-long (36″ x 80″)

Note: Hoskins has a few full-size beds–contact EV Front Desk.

  • If you live in an apartment, you’ll need to provide your own pots and pans, dishes, utensils, and other kitchenware. You can purchase many of these things locally or online. Stanford does not provide microwave ovens, except in the Munger Graduate Residence. Thus you may want to consider buying or renting one. Again, we recommend that you wait until you meet your roommate/s so you can coordinate your purchases.
  • Rooms and apartments are small, storage is limited, and your roommate/s may bring extra items as well. Check out the sample floor plan for your residence in the Housing Options section to get an idea of your available space.

What to bring: Undergraduates

Remember that, as a freshman or transfer student, you will move at the beginning and end of every school year. (More often if you study overseas).

While having all your clothes, all of your photo albums, and tons of sports equipment may sound like a good idea for now, it may not seem like such a good idea when you have to move all of it or store it at the end of the year.

What to bring: Graduate Students

Unless you have been assigned to an unfurnished space (usually couples and families), your room or apartment will be furnished. See a list of furniture and appliances included with your residence in the Housing Options section.

What you shouldn’t bring

Don’t bring your grandfather’s Stanford ring, your first-edition Dickens novel, or any other irreplaceable items.

For safety reasons, the following items are prohibited in all student residences:

  • Candles, torches, hookahs, incense, and any other open-flame devices.
  • Halogen lamps.
  • Non-University lofted beds.
  • Hazardous materials such as gasoline, chemicals, and charcoal fluid.
  • Dangerous weapons, including but not limited to firearms and knives*.
  • Hot plates, toasters, electric heaters, and other appliances with open heating elements (toaster ovens are okay).
  • Pets of any kind, including fish and caged animals.
  • Mercury thermometers.

* Students who have complied with all state and federal/country regulations regarding the use and possession of a weapon may store it with the Stanford Department of Public Safety (SDPS).