Checklist for Grant Application
- Download the UAR Grant Writing Timeline to plan your project.
- Check your eligibility, your faculty mentor eligibility, and project eligibility.
Work with your faculty mentor to focus your topic.
- Take courses that prepare you for the methodologies or techniques your project will use, including relevant courses required by UAR for off-campus fieldwork preparation, and human subjects training.
- Draft your proposal, and seek feedback from your mentor, field contacts, and UAR Academic Advising Directors and advisors.
- Request letters of recommendation from you faculty mentor and field contact, giving a MINIMUM of three weeks’ notice. Provide them with the guidelines for letters sought by UAR.
- Register at the UAR Grant Application Portal and become familiar with submission requirements, including getting departmental account numbers (PTA) for faculty transfer and human subjects payment, as well as direct deposit.
- If your project makes use of human subjects or human materials, submit your Human Subjects Protocol to the Stanford Institutional Review Board latest by the first of the same month as your grant application deadline.
Grant Writing Timeline
Before you apply for any UAR Student Grant, work through the steps outlined in Get Inspired and Get Focused and work with a faculty mentor to refine your project. You also need to understand what is required in the entire grant application cycle. A helpful reference is the UAR Grant Writing Timeline.
UAR does not accept hard copy or email applications. To ensure that your proposal will be reviewed, complete the following steps in the Grant Application Portal by 11:59pm of the deadline:
- Upload complete proposal
- Confirm application information and accept the terms and conditions of the UAR Grant award
- Enter the contact information of your faculty mentor and field contact for letters of recommendation
- Remind your letter writers that UAR will request that recommendation letters be uploaded within five working days following the grant application deadline.
- If reviewers request more information after the first round of reviews, submit a complete, revised proposal as soon as possible before the stated resubmission deadline.
- If reviewers approve your grant proposal, the following items must be completed before UAR can distribute any funds. Failure to complete these items may result in the cancellation of your grant.
- Upload your IRB approval notice if required.
- Prepare and upload documentation to satisfy UAR’s off-campus project requirements, which may include: proof of insurance (also required for all summer projects), coursework, travel and embassy registration.
- Submit a thank you note to the grant donor and sign the waiver form at UAR, Sweet Hall, first floor.
After you complete your project, you should plan to submit a final report and apply to present your work at SURPS or ASURPS. When reviewing a grant proposal, UAR reviewers consider your earlier record of UAR-funded projects.