Information For...

For you and your family
Standard mileage and other information

Forms and Instructions

Individual Tax Return
Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification
Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents
Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate


Request for Transcript of Tax Returns
Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Installment Agreement Request
Wage and Tax Statement

Popular For Tax Pros

Amend/Fix Return
Apply for Power of Attorney
Apply for an ITIN
Rules Governing Practice before IRS

Let Us Help You

Online Tools and Resources

When to check status of your refund:

  • Within 24 hours after we've received your e-filed tax return; or
  • 4 weeks after mailing your paper return.

You should only call if:

  • It has been 3 weeks or more since you filed electronically (11 weeks if Form 8379, Injured Spouse was included);
  • It has been more than 6 weeks since you mailed your paper return (14 weeks if Form 8379, Injured Spouse was included); or
  • Where’s My Refund? directs you to contact us.

To check the status of your amended return:

  • You must wait 3 weeks after filing the form before using Where’s My Amended Return? tool.

You should only call if:

  • It has been more than 16 weeks since you mailed the amended return; or
  • The Where’s My Amended Return? tool directs you to call us

Telephone Assistance

We experience very high call volumes, especially during filing season. If your issue cannot be resolved online, use the appropriate telephone assistance line.

Prepare for your call

We care about protecting your identity. Our call center professionals take great care to make certain that they only discuss your personal information with you or someone you authorize to speak on your behalf. To ensure that you do not have to call back, please have the following documents ready.

If you’re calling about your own account:

Before you call, make sure you know or have the following information handy:

  • Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
  • Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
  • Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
  • A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
  • Any letters or notices we sent you

If you are calling about someone else’s account:

Our call center professionals will only speak with the taxpayer or their legally designated representative.

Before you call, make sure you have the following information handy:

Deceased taxpayer concerns

Be prepared to fax:

IRS phone numbers

Customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, unless otherwise noted. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time. Puerto Rico phone lines are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.



People with hearing impairments:
800-829-4059 (TDD) See Tax Topic 102.

Exempt organizations, retirement plan administrators, and government:
877-829-5500 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time)

Estate and gift:
866-699-4083 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern time; Forms 706 United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return and 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return only)

Excise tax function:
866-699-4096 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time)

If you live outside the United States
Hours of availability vary by location. Please see our International Services page.

Face-to-face assistance
In certain areas, the IRS has local offices you may visit to receive assistance. All offices operate by appointment.