Navigate Up
Recycling and Waste Reduction Division
Menu +

Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Disposal Program

Published on: 9/14/2015 1:47 PM

Properly disposing of hazardous waste can be costly and inconvenient. However, small business owners in Santa Clara County have a cost effective and environmentally sound option to meet their hazardous waste recycling and disposal needs.

If your business qualifies as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator(CESQG), then you have the opportunity to participate in our program.



Some of the more common items are:  

  • Mercury containing products such as Fluorescent Lamps, Thermometers, and Button Batteries.
  • Propane Tanks, Helium Tanks, and Aerosol Cans.
  • Automotive Fluids, such as Motor Oil, Lubricants, Oil Filters, and Antifreeze.
  • Landscaping Chemicals, such as Pesticides, Herbicides, Fungicides, and Fertilizers.
  • Latex and Oil Paint and Paint-Related Materials, such as Stains, Varnishes, Roofing Tar, Adhesives, Joint Compounds, and other Petroleum-Based Products.
  • Developer and Fixer.
  • Acids, Bases, Oxidizers, and Swimming Pool Chemicals.
  • Solvents, Flammable Solids and Liquids, and Detergents.
  • Alkaline and Rechargeable Batteries.


*If you are a business who has had hazardous waste dumped on your property, please contact the County of Santa Clara's Household Hazardous Waste Program to ask for suggestions pertaining to illegal dumping prevention and tips.



Step 1: Qualifying

  • The business must qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator(CESQG) as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, section 25218.1, and Code of Federal Regulations 40, Section 261.5.                        
    • According to code, you must generate less than 220 lbs., or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month, or less than 2.2 lbs. of Extremely Hazardous Waste per month.
    • Non-Profits, landlords, apartment managers, and businesses who generate hazardous waste are considered small businesses, and are not exempt from disposal fees.             

Step 2: Obtain a California E.P.A.  I.D. Number

  • All participants of the Small Business Program MUST HAVE an EPA Identification Number.  Call the California Environmental Protection Agency (CAL EPA)  at 1-800-618-6942 to apply for either a Temporary or Permanent Number.   In the majority of cases, EPA ID numbers can be assigned over the telephone.    However, please exercise patience, you may be placed on hold depending on the call demands placed on the agency. 

Step 3: Inventory Sheet  

  • Click here  to access our Inventory Sheet.  Print this document and fill it out completely then please call 800-207-8222.
Step 4: Appointment Setup
  • Once we receive your inventory sheet, we will produce a price quote and contact you.  If you agree to the price and wish to proceed, we will create an account for you.  Once your account is created, we can proceed with setting up an appointment.  We have hazardous waste collection events for businesses in San Martin, and Sunnyvale.  Once you agree to an appointment, we will fax or email a map and directions to our facility to your business; a transportation variance allowing you or your employees to transport up to 27 gallons or 220 lbs. of hazardous waste, and your copy of the waste manifest will also be attached.


CESQG Downloads and Links
Click here to view and print the Inventory Sheet.
Click here to view the Inventory Sheet instructions.
Click here for a link to Unidocs.
Click here for a link to Department of Transportation HazMat website.
Click here for the CESQG Operating Schedule.
Click here to access our CESQG Brochure.