Skip to content Skip to navigation

Master's Program


At the master's level, the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering offers degrees in the disciplines of Structural Engineering and Geomechanics (SEG), Environmental Fluid Mechanics and Hydrology (EFMH), Sustainable Design and Construction (SDC), Environmental and Engineering Sciences (EES), and Atmosphere and Energy (A/E).  As you consider applying, first visit each program's website to learn more about the faculty, research and courses within each of these exciting programs.

After visiting your program's website, there are a number additional topics you should consider when applying to an MS degree program in Civil and Environmental Engineering.

GRE general results

All applicants, including foreign students, must take and submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Scores must be from an examination taken within the past five years. If you are also applying for financial aid, plan to take the test on or before the October test date so that your scores are received in time to be considered for an award.

The Educational Testing Service (ETS) has modified its administration of the computerized Graduate Record Examination (GRE) for students who take the examination in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan or Korea. The student must take the Analytical Writing component of the examination at least six weeks prior to taking the verbal and quantitative components of the exam. All three scores will be reported to the schools at once by ETS. The new fiscal year for ETS is July 1 to June 30. The three tests components must be completed within one fiscal year.

TOEFL Results

Scores are required of all applicants whose first language is not English. Exceptions are granted for applicants who have earned a U.S. bachelor’s or master’s degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association in the United States, or the equivalent of either degree from a non-U.S. college or university of recognized standing where all instruction is provided in English. This exception does not apply if the courses were completed in a country where English is spoken but not all courses were provided in English. Being a U.S. citizen does not automatically exempt an applicant from taking the TOEFL; if the applicant’s first language is not English, the applicant must meet the exception above or submit TOEFL scores. Stanford does not accept IELTS scores.
For more information please visit the Graduate Admissions TOEFL FAQ.

Application submission tips

Save your sheet protectors for something else

Some applicants send their supplementary information inserted into sheet protectors possibly in the hope of making a more visually appealing presentation with their application. Unfortunately, the Student Services staff must remove your material from the sheet protectors before it is reviewed by the Admissions Committee and only delays the review of your application. Help us out and avoid the temptation to use sheet protectors.

Video tapes, CDs, other material

Each year we receive a volume of supplementary material such as video tapes and other media that, while well intended by the applicants, are too lengthy or otherwise impractical for the Admissions Committee to review. It's best to keep your application to the materials requested and to concentrate on making those have the most positive impact. "Extras" like video and audio presentations will not be reviewed and create a storage problem more than anything else.


Graduate students should budget at least $600 per quarter for books and supplies above tuition and housing costs. Information on tuition fees and other typical costs such as for housing may be found on the following sites:

Office of Grad Admissions - Estimated Expense Budget »
Student Housing - Rates and Assignments »

If you have questions

For further general information on admission to the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, contact or call the department at (650) 723-3074.

Additional information about graduate admissions for each specific program can be found by navigating to our section on Graduate Programs.